Clear All
  • ih784
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2019

Starline Brass for Grendel. Good or bad

• Constitutionalist
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

I like them. I haven't shot them enough to wear any out. Probably on my third load. They shoot my pet load (CCI-450, 27.0gr of IMR8208BXR, 123gr SST) better than than my Hornady brass. Unfortunately I have at least 2000 Hornady cases already so I won't be changing over entirely any time soon.

Comment

• Popeye212
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2018

I prefer them over the Hornady.

Comment

• BCHunter
        Warrior
        • Jan 2018

The starliner brass has only been available in 6.5 grr a little over a year. So that's why your not finding much on longevity. Those that have tried it had positive reports so far.

Comment

• SCJim
          Warrior
          • Apr 2019

I used Starline in a .260 Rem and got 10+ loads from them. I liked it well enough that I ordered Starline for this new Grendel. Plan on doing case prep on the new cases if you are doing precision reloading. Measuring the case length on a dozen of so straight from the box I found differences of up to .005 but all were well within SAMMI specs. Flash holes are punched not drilled but are well centered and round. I don't debur flash holes so no idea there. The primer pockets were surprisingly uniform. I would recommend doing a FL resize and a trim before loading the first time. I just loaded 80 for my rifles initial break in so we shall see. BTW I am not a huge fan of Hornady or Federal brass I never could get good life from it in .223 or .204. If Alpha or Peterson made Grendel brass that is what I would be using.
          Last edited by SCJim; 04-22-2019, 03:37 AM.

Comment

• Chipj4
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2018

I have some but have not fired them yet. I did prep some recently and set primers. The primer pockets did not feel as tight as the Lapua I have but felt ok. I deburred the flash holes and did get some brass shavings but am guessing that is normal for any of the punched ones. I have 5-6 maybe 7 reloads so far on the Hornady cases and have only culled a small percentage early on due to user error. The Starline seems at least as solid as the Hornady so I am expecting at least as many loads. Time will tell.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

I moved away from hornady and lapua brass and only run Starline now.

Only thing I do to prep new brass is chamfer/deburr the case mouth load and go.

Have close too 100 cases that are ready for their 9th loading and 28 cases that are ready for its 12th loading.

Comment

• ih784
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2019

250 pieces inbound. Thank y’all.

Comment

• LTQZ
                  Bloodstained
                  • Feb 2019

I use Starline brass for almost everything. 44 Mag, 280 Rem, 7mm-08, 45 Colt, etc. The only reason I don't use it for 45ACP and 357SIG is with the autos, I loose too much brass to be cost effective.

I was very happy when they offered brass for the Grr. I have loaded up 40 rounds, 20 123gr SST's and 20 100gr TTSX, have not fired any yet.
                  Knowledge and understanding leads to Wisdom.

Comment

• Jakal
                    Warrior
                    • May 2014

Starline is gtg. Reload with it in other guns, no problems at all.
                    ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• RJTodd
                      Unwashed
                      • Apr 2019

Hate to be the naysayer, and as a caveat I have only bought 100 pcs of .243 Win brass in Starline so perhaps I got a bad batch. . . While I love their pistol brass, the rifle brass had off center and rough punched flash holes, and case mouths that looked like the were formed against a dull rock. I returned mine to Brownells and ordered LAPUA at more than 2x the cost. It was worth it to me.

Shooting is what matters, but my time is worth more than the work it would have require to turn the bad brass into mediocre brass with several hours of hand work. . .

Respectfully

RTodd

Comment

• ih784
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2019

Shot about 50 so far today. I like it better than Hornady.

Comment

• Popeye212
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by ih784 View Post
                          Shot about 50 so far today. I like it better than Hornady.
                          Won't be throwing as many away either.

Comment

• Taz575
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2018

I use Starline for most of the calibers I reload for. In my Grrr's, the Hornady brass seems very soft and doesn't always extract well in my Howa Mini 1500 or AR upper in 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2016

I was one of the first to ever get em, as I live right down the road and picked em up direct.

I was one of the first if not the first to have the new brass (blessings of living down the road from Starline and Sierra :cool:) and although I was TDY and didnt get to play much with them, I did get asked about some measurements on them. I am home now and got to throw em in the calipers and on scale so here we go. I took

I think I am on my 4th load with a batch... no issues yet.
                              I have Hornady as well, I like the Starline brass mainly cuz it is local Biz.
                              ― George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                              X