Clear All
  • ChrisPenn
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2018

Reloading Advice

• lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

not trying to be a smart-ass, but, so...what did you do to get it shooting 1/2" at 100? Because I'm thinking that.
    Do that?

Meanwhile, I just spent the day testing Nosler 123'CC and my Grendel F'ing hates these bullets. We're talking 4 MOA level performance
    4x P100

Comment

• RiverRider
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

I think that the intended use of your reloaded ammo is something to take into consideration. If you're into shooting targets, then go with the absolute most accurate bullet you can find. If you want to hunt, your quest becomes a bit more complicated. Many get waaaay too hung up on the accuracy aspect of hunting ammo. Would I pass over a load that shoots 3/4" for one that shoots 1/2" regardless of terminal performance, for hunting? Hell no, not as a matter of course...in that case I'd take the bullet that offers the best terminal performance.

OTOH, a four-inch load ain't much good for hunting, regardless of the bullet's terminal performance potential.

Give it some good, honest-to-yourself consideration.

Comment

• Bronsonburner
        Warrior
        • Dec 2018

Damn man if I would get 1/2" groups with factory ammo out of my PSA I wouldn't need to reload. Gonna be hard to find a recipe that duplicates that performance. I guess I would start using whatever bullets the factory stuff is loaded with, the once-fired brass you should already have, and probably use 8208 for powder or maybe CFE 223. CCI 450 primers have served me well.

Comment

• ChrisPenn
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2018

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
          not trying to be a smart-ass, but, so...what did you do to get it shooting 1/2" at 100? Because I'm thinking that.
          Do that?

Meanwhile, I just spent the day testing Nosler 123'CC and my Grendel F'ing hates these bullets. We're talking 4 MOA level performance

Comment

• ChrisPenn
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2018

Yeah, I agree completely. It’s a hunting rifle, primarily pigs. So, yes, terminal performance is most definitely a consideration. I haven’t reloaded for any rifle yet, so I’m not sure what materials to use. Im not sure I’ll save much money reloading but convenience is my biggest goal here. Ammo when I want/need it, not when UPS gets here.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by ChrisPenn View Post
              Didn’t actually do anything to get those groups. Just wasted a bunch of money on ammo that has to be ordered (rarely any on the shelf here) till I tried the Hornady custom.
              To be honest if you got that good of groups with the sst bullet I wouldn't waist time and effort trying to figure out a hunting load. I would just run that, order it by the case and have plenty on hand.

I'm at that place now my AA 16 inch barrel shoots the wolf fmj and federal fusion and federal tnt load so good it's a waist of time too figure out loads for it.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

Chrispenn, what’s more convenient than ordering something and having it delivered to your door? If you don’t learn to plan ahead reloading isn’t going to help you.
                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ChrisPenn View Post
                  I have a 18” grendel from PSA. Finally found a factory bullet it likes. It will shoot 1/2” at 100 with Hornady Custom 123’s. I have the equipment to reload for this round and would like some advice from some of you about bullets, powder, and recipes based on my rifle liking that bullet. Thanks in advance
                  Chris:

Look at the Reloading stickies and the threads in the Reloading forum.

There are probably thirty or forty threads on the subject of reloading advice.

LR55

Comment

• Popeye212
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2018

Those are 123 SST's in the Hornady Custom if they shoot that good I would stick with those. That's what I have for my hog loads with 8208 it is a hunting bullet.

Comment

Working...
                    X