• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LTQZ
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2019

Nosler 120 E-tip

Evening Horde,

Looking for some additional input for load data for the Nos 120 E-tip.
    I have the Nosler data for that bullet
    I have the following powders, IMR 8208, TAC, IMR 4198 and H322.
    I have the Grendel reloading books.
    I am wondering what loads anyone may have tried, most of the Horde has shot the Grr way more than I have.

I will be using Starline brass, new
    CCI 450 primers.

Thank you,
    Knowledge and understanding leads to Wisdom.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I don't have any data because I haven't tryed that bullet yet but I would start with data from any of the books you have.

Work it up get a good chrongraph reading on its speed and then compare it to that bullets min expansion speed to find your max hunting distance with it.

Comment

• 41bear
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

Bought a box with the thought of using it for hunting. However found I couldn't get the vel. high enough in the Grendel case along with the fact that there are much better non lead bullets available that are better suited to the grendel case. Both Barnes and Cavity Back make 100/105 gr.s that will open up better and you can get higher vel. a win win imo. Also Lehigh makes a 110 gr that Underwood loads or you can reload it also.
      "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• Msalm
        Warrior
        • May 2018

I’ve shortened some of those bullets in the lathe and got them down to 85gr. I think they’ll work great at 2900+ but I have yet to load them and try them out...too many other projects.

Comment

• LTQZ
          Bloodstained
          • Feb 2019

thanks all, did not realize this bullet was "not so common" but got them for a good $$ at Shooters Pro Shop.
          going to give them a try, plan to use TAC and 8208 to start. Will post results, whenever I can get to the range.

Comment

• LTQZ
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2019

E-Tip update:

These bullets are quite long (sorry for got the measurement), having some "fun" trying to get them seated to the correct length, Nosler load data shows an OACL of 2.215 for the IMR 8208 loads. Using new Starline brass, length 1.510. +/- .001.
            The data does not show that these are compressed loads but I am fairly sure that the back end of this bullet is in the powder. I noticed that they are showing a "ring" just below the E-tip. I am using LEE Pacesetter dies for now.
            Again this data is from Nosler for the 6.5 Grendel with their 120gr E-Tip.

Any thoughts?
            Thanks.

I also loaded some Hornady 123 gr, SST's with no issues.
            Have not got to try any yet.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

8208XBR is too fast for the 120gr E-Tip unless you really keep the charge weight down.

The 120gr E-Tip is a really long bullet that intrudes into the case capacity, so pressure goes up and charge weigh goes down.

Also, since it's a solid, it resists being driven into the lands more than a cup & core bullet.

It's better for loading in the .260 Rem, 6.5x47 Lapua, and 6.5 Creedmoor.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LTQZ
                Bloodstained
                • Feb 2019

Thanks LRRPF52, I think you are correct, and I will have to pull these loads down.
                All the data was from Nosler, I think I started with 27.1gns up to 28gns of 8208.
                I remember reading here that 8208 can spike quickly and with such a short COAL, 2.215, I was not getting a good feeling about the loads.
                My son has a 6.5 Creedmoor so I think I will save the e tips for him.

Thanks again,

Comment

• LTQZ
                  Bloodstained
                  • Feb 2019

Correction:

The load data mentioned in my last post was incorrect, I started with 26.4grs and went up to 27.5 with the 120gr E-Tips and IMR 8208. 27.5 is a compressed load.
                  I am still going to pull the rounds down.

Comment

Working...
                  X