• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rosecrans1
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

MatchKing Moly-Coated 142gr HPBT

Anybody try these from their 1/8 twist 20" Grendels? If so.................please share your results.
    Very little published load data for them in Grendel and I'm curious since I have some.

Thanks in Advance!
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I think that bullet is pretty long which takes space in the 6.5 Grendel limited case capacity. The 142 grain SMK might work but you might only get enough powder to get 1900-2000 FPS in an AR-15 with 2.260 case length. If your using a bolt action with the ability to load the bullet longer they might work.

I suspect the bullet’s overall length is why you don’t see the 142 grain SMK mentioned. I think this bullet is designed more for the 6.5 CM/264WM/6.5x47/260R. Even the 130 grain bullets can eat up case capacity in the 6.5 Grendel case.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 03-17-2019, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• Bfglowkee
      Warrior
      • Jan 2019

The beauty of the Grendel is the mid range pills ( 120-123) going at respectable velocities with superior barrel life to say a 6mm Creedmoor. In the AR platform it allows more distance and energy on target with very little down side ( not an AR guy so there may be some blatant negatives that I am ignorant too so feel free to chime in gents) In the Bolt gun platform I went with the Grendel to replace my 308 for hunting. Less recoil, less powder, similar barrel life, similar energy on target for the ranges it is being used at and it is easier to pass to family that want to hunt due to smaller/easier to handle. Also for target days it can reach every bit as far as my 308 with its 168g SMK loads. Now my 308 is being prepped for 180g + loads for the larger end of harvesting ( caribou, elk, moose ) I have seen the 140s being used in the Grendel with decent results but besides fun and "just because" practically I haven't found a use for it so I am leaving the top end of my use at 130g pills. That said curiosity is there and would love to see what folks are doing and what they managed to get them to fly at?

Comment

• Rosecrans1
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

Yes I thought the OAL would be the issue. Too bad because I have quite a few passed down to me by a relative that did a lot of reloading. Don't care to get into the 6.5CM just to use them. One good thing is there is no use-by date on them.

Comment

• Randy99CL
          Warrior
          • Oct 2017

Johnny likes heavy bullets and has loaded some long ones for his Grendel. He had to figure his own charges because the manuals don't go that big. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXcV...&index=21&t=0s

Personally, I'd sell them, they're not that useful at the lower Grrr velocities. JMO

Edit: I just watched most of that video and he does see some utility in the heavy bullets. He got 2380fps with 140g Hornady from his 18" barrel, with excellent accuracy. Ballistic calculator shows they're still supersonic past 1000yds.
          Last edited by Randy99CL; 03-17-2019, 10:01 PM.
          "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Bwild97 has done a lot of load development with the 142gr SMK and has some detailed spreadsheets showing all his data, along with chrono tapes and TGTs.

He used a lot of CFE223 and LeveRevolution. You can load them long in CProducts mags, or single load with a generous chamber if you just want to shoot distance at a slow pace.

Or you can just shoot the 130gr Nosler RDF from a SAAMI chamber mag COL and not worry about it.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
            X