• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpFor1
    Warrior
    • Jan 2019

What are yalls thoughts on 100 grain ELD-M's

I was looking at options for reloading mainly for predators but some light hog hunting involved. I already have some 90 grain TNT's on hand, I was just wondering what everyones thoughts on these bullets are. I know the 123 grain are real popular but don't see a whole lot mentioned on this. And yes, I did use the search function and I own both 6.5 books.
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

Then you already know the superior bc of the 123 will allow it to over take our faster lighter pill, pull away from it and fly farther. That’s why you don’t see much about the smaller bullets.

I shoot 100 gr nosler bt for hunting (under 500) and targets out to 6-700 yds. For my range I don’t need the higher bc. If I had a place to shoot 1000 yds I might switch.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• OpFor1
      Warrior
      • Jan 2019

I "might" run mine out to 300 yards max.

Comment

• Djgrendel
        Warrior
        • Feb 2016

If 300 yards is your realistic max range, use whatever bullet shoots the best. The benefit in the heavier pills is going to be the sectional density. BC is not going to make much difference at that range. Sure it has some effect. But not enough to create a huge difference. Try em out.
        Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• brut28481
          Warrior
          • Mar 2016

I found the load were workups for the 95 grain V-Max and a 100 eld-m to be pretty close. In all of my barrels the 95 grain V-Max has shot a little bit better. I use that bullet exclusively for coyotes and hog hunting (going for head and neck shots on hogs) CFE223 anywhere from 33.4-34gr. I've taken hogs out to 200 yds with the 95gr vmax.

Comment

• brut28481
            Warrior
            • Mar 2016

Check the hunting forums, I belive double naught has alot of success with the tnt projectiles.

Comment

• Joseph5
              Warrior
              • Oct 2012

I have shot a lot of the old 100gr Amax loaded over 34gr of CFE223 with excellent accuracy. Only animals shot with them so far is prairie dogs but I think they would work good on deer/antelope size critters. I am getting over 2900 fps with this load out of a Lilja AR24 barrel.

Comment

• OpFor1
                Warrior
                • Jan 2019

Thanks guys. I am not planning (right now) to use the 6.5 G. on deer, although it is a worthy cartridge. I am wanting it for a ranch / truck gun. I am trying to work up with lighter grain pills to limit holdover mistakes at moderate ranges. I have 2 boxes of the TNT bullets already so just looking at options.

Comment

Working...
                X