• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kcb38
    Warrior
    • Jun 2017

Shot my first handloads today

I wanted to thank everyone who helped with tips and load data. I'm happy to say that my rifle is sill in one piece and I still have all my fingers AND my good looks.

I decided to use 25.5 - 26.5 grains of 2520 and the 129 gr Interlocks. The rifle ran great and grouped as good as with any factory ammo I've tried. I only shot 50 yds today but managed to keep a few 10 round groups to around 5/8". That will improve with load development and a decent pair of glasses. I should've cranked a turret a handful of clicks and just shot for groups because my point of aim was chewed up pretty good after 10 rounds. Anyway, now that I got all the excuses out of the way I have to say that the experience was both satisfying and somewhat relieving. You can't help but be nervous the first time pulling the trigger with your own loads.

The only thing that went wrong was that I must've bumped the switch on my chrono when I was putting it away last time and the darned battery was dead. I thought about checking it before I left and thought, nah it's fine. Wrong, haha. Oh well, these were just free bullets and I'm just happy with the 100% positive function check. I guess serious load development will have to start next time out.
    - Kirk -
  • Bfglowkee
    Warrior
    • Jan 2019

Welcome to the rabbit hole! Glad you had a positive experience with those first hand loads. Looking forward to the future posts and seeing how you progress

Comment

• Popeye212
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2018

You are twice afflicted, Grendeled and now found the joys of stuffing your own. The reason there is no cure is....nobody wants it....

Comment

• Jeepster18_88
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

I remember shooting my first reloads. I used a Lee Classic loader and seating a primer with a hammer takes either guts or ignorance but it works just fine with that tool. The first shot out of the rifle surprisingly hit the target because my faith in my skill definitely wasn't there. Now, I've got so much loading equipment I had to get a dedicated shop just for that. The discovery and testing just keeps me going. The funniest thing I've ever heard was someone say that reloading saved money ������

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Bfglowkee View Post
          Welcome to the rabbit hole! Glad you had a positive experience with those first hand loads. Looking forward to the future posts and seeing how you progress
          The addiction is contagious!
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Bronsonburner
            Warrior
            • Dec 2018

Prepare your wallet man.

Comment

• kcb38
              Warrior
              • Jun 2017

I don't know about addiction but I can tell you I can't wait to crank out my next batch. And then the one after that...
              I have to say that yesterday was the best outing I've had with my Grendel. I'm starting to have confidence that I will find a load that will deliver the groups from this rifle that I expected from the beginning. I'm a little bummed I didn't get any chrono data but Interlocks aren't going to be my go to bullet anyway since I don't hunt. Next time out I'll be using 123gr SMKs and TMKs. I've never had a rifle that wouldn't shoot those well so I'm excited to see how they do. Thanks again to everyone that helped me through my inexperience and first time jitters.
              - Kirk -

Comment

• Bfglowkee
                Warrior
                • Jan 2019

Interlocks have a flat bottom and are actually very accurate under 300 yards...so if you have a surplus of them like I do from hornadys get loaded rebate then no harm in using them to practice your load procedures and plink for fun

Comment

• LTQZ
                  Bloodstained
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Jeepster18_88 View Post
                  I remember shooting my first reloads. I used a Lee Classic loader and seating a primer with a hammer takes either guts or ignorance but it works just fine with that tool. The first shot out of the rifle surprisingly hit the target because my faith in my skill definitely wasn't there. Now, I've got so much loading equipment I had to get a dedicated shop just for that. The discovery and testing just keeps me going. The funniest thing I've ever heard was someone say that reloading saved money ������
                  Hey Jeepster, I started the same way with the Lee Classic. When I started I really thought it would save $$, well then once you start really getting into the presses and carbide dies and, and, ......
                  Knowledge and understanding leads to Wisdom.

Comment

• kcb38
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Bfglowkee View Post
                    Interlocks have a flat bottom and are actually very accurate under 300 yards...so if you have a surplus of them like I do from hornadys get loaded rebate then no harm in using them to practice your load procedures and plink for fun
                    Yep, that's exactly why I was using them. I figured if I was going to make mistakes it might as well be with free bullets. I was pleasantly surprised with their accuracy too. All in all it was one of my best range days in a long time.
                    Last edited by kcb38; 03-11-2019, 04:48 PM.
                    - Kirk -

Comment

• Cornbread
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2015

I unplug the battery from my chrono( optical) when not in use. I was getting a battery drain with it left connected. Low voltage was causing some wonky readings.

Comment

• kcb38
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2017

Well my second outing with my hand loads was a bust. I replaced the dead battery in my chronograph with another dead battery, dated 2018. Best I can tell is someone threw and old battery back into the box we keep new ones in. 6 shots and it died. I fired 15 rounds total and packed up my stuff.
                        - Kirk -

Comment

Working...
                        X