• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeepster18_88
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Benchmark or 8208xbr or maybe even something else

I'm trying to figure out which powder to start with on the Grendel. I'm looking for something that will give hunting type accuracy, decent velocity but not necessarily max, temperature stability, a clean burn, and reliable function of the RLGS when using 120 gr to 130 gr. I would also like the powder to perform well with 55 gr 223 and possibly with 75gr. I'm limited in what is available locally and I've purchased some CFE 223 and Varget but after reading more on these, CFE doesn't sound to be clean burning or temp stable and many don't recommend Varget. 8208xbr seems to be popular for 120 gr and I don't mind backing off from max velocity to use it in the 123gr or 130 gr. I'm waiting for the 6.5 Grendel manual to get here.

I was thinking about trying AR Comp but can't find any. I'm not opposed to H4895 because it's proven to be an acceptable choice with every cartridge I've ever tried it in, but I don't have any data for it in the Grendel. I have data for 4198 but I've been told that similar burn rate powders are way too fast.

The data available to me right now shows Benchmark and 8208xbr as being probably the best compromise. I've heard the 8208xbr gets spikey at the top end with the heavy bullets but like I said, I don't need a maximum charge so unless backing off is going to cause trouble in some way, I'm not ruling it out. I know that Benchmark is shown to be faster on the burn rate charts, but I've consistently gotten better accuracy with Hodgdon over IMR, which is what ALL my powder used to be. In the data I have available, both of these show to perform very close to the same across the board up to 123 gr, with Benchmark having a slight advantage in the 100gr area, and XBR having a slight advantage with 123. I don't have any published data over 123gr and I am considering the 130gr Sierra GK BTHP as a main hunting bullet.

One reason is so that it doesn't look like my 7.62x39 rounds loaded with SSTs to someone not paying attention. There's not a lot of options for the x39 and I'm stocked up on the SST because it works best in that round. I also have a ton loaded with 123SP and that looks very similar to the 120gr Sierra. I don't expect anyone to ever get the two confused and I have magazines labeled as well as ammo boxes, but they do look alike in a hurry to someone who might be in a hurry.

I know that this is a long post, but I'm 1200 miles from all my reloading books, all my equipment, etc and I have been for over a year. I'm not sure when I'll get back home and I don't want a ton of supplies to take back when I do, that's why I'm looking for a single powder for all. I appreciate all your help and information that you can share with me. I'm new to the Grendel and this is my first RLGS AR, all my others are carbines so I don't know what issues switching from one to the other will show. BTW, both the 223 and Grendel are sharing the rifle lower that I have with me while I'm here, but I will be sharing the 223 ammo with my carbine at home later. Thanks again for any and all help.
    Last edited by Jeepster18_88; 03-03-2019, 04:46 PM.
  • Cornbread
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

8208. Hands down. I tried most every powder and it has been the most consistently accurate.

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

I live in florida, use cfe, 8208, and ar comp. All with good results.

Comment

• Bfglowkee
        Warrior
        • Jan 2019

AR Comp is solid in all areas but doesn't excel in any one. XBR is great in many areas just touchy at max end....so if you are not going max then another vote for XBR. Benchmark is also a very good choice and since you are saying temp sensitivity is a non factor very well could be your winner. BLC2, TAC also should be considered if the 130 Sierra is a serious contender for your hunting load. BLC2 doesn't get as much love but its damn good stuff, easy to work with/meter and is predictable. It holds up well against the competition, just suffers from being more sensitive to temp if loaded toward the upper end. Win 748 gets honorable mention but I am very limited in its use. I only use it when I load for my fathers gun....that thing loves the stuff. It works in many different loads for multiple cartridges though...just always found better with other powders in my rifles.

Comment

• glk45
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2018

Don't rule out AA2520.

Comment

• Jeepster18_88
            Warrior
            • Feb 2019

Thanks for the advice! Just to be clear, temperature stability is a must because I hunt with my loads. It has to perform in 100 degree weather as well as 20 degree with little POI change at 100 yrds. Again, thanks for all the help.

Comment

• Bfglowkee
              Warrior
              • Jan 2019

XBR, AR Comp are your best bets then. You can get Varget to work...velocities will be below the other 2 but accuracy will be excellent. This is one of the few times Varget isn't the best choice. XBR probably has the most data out there and if your not at the upper end of the load range then its the clear winner hands down.

Comment

• Jeepster18_88
                Warrior
                • Feb 2019

Thanks, that's pretty much the conclusion that I was at after going through the forums. AR Comp isn't available locally and today is the last day for free shipping online but it's only available in bulk. XBR is available here but I don't have any data for the 130 yet, but my dies, brass, and scope bases are on their way still so I have a little time to find a start and max load. Everything is ready to go for the 223 so I'll get some powder and get a series started.

Comment

• Bfglowkee
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2019

Sierra has load data for their 130s (matchkings and TMKs but you can usually work off that and have a starting point:

XBR - 23.7 min, 26.4 Max with velocity ranging from 2100-2300.
                  COALs listed are 2.135 ( looks like the game king in the picture) and the TMK is 2.260

Should give you a starting point.

Comment

• Drillboss
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2015

I've gotten good accuracy with Benchmark when loading 123 gr SST's. BTW, Sierra also has load data for H4895 up to 123 gr.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2016

I'm the resident Benchmark fan boy - don't waste your time with it with 120s + in 6.5 Grendel. It is a powder that excels with light for caliber bullets - i use it with 55s in 223, 70s in 6x45, 95s in 243 LBC and 110s in .308. it is, however, a very temp stable powder. Not in Varget/H4350 land, but well above average. If you try XBR for grendel, also try it with 77s in 223. I don't use it in 6.5 Grendel because I've never been able to get near 28 with 123s with 3 different barrels, but I buy it by the keg solely for 77s in 223. With several different barrels I've gotten slightly above book max velocities a few 10ths off of max and they all shoot better than I do.
                      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Massey9556
                        Bloodstained
                        • Feb 2019

Cabelas has one pound of comp for sale. It works good for my 18 inch ar with 129 interlocks. Free shipping over 50 bucks.

Also another link w one pound in stock.
                        Last edited by Massey9556; 03-03-2019, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

definitely AR-comp for all your looking for in Grendel. I'm glad to also see that Sierra has the Grrr in the 130's now, I have some for my Creed and might try some in my 20" Grendels...

But in general those links may be your ticket.
                          Midsouth has it but only 8lb jugs... might be a bit much to get up-front...
                          If some factory loads shoot well for you don't hesitate to get a few of them as backups, either the 123sst or the 123 eldm, or federal match (130? not tried these myself) if they shoot well for you.
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Popeye212
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2018

8208xbr and AR Comp....jury still out on Tac still in testing phase.

Comment

• grendelnubi
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2017

8208 and AR Comp also get my vote. If I had only one, it would be AR Comp. Last year it was 8208 but because of such great results I have seen with AR Comp, it is my new choice.

If you are wanting to shot the heavier projectiles, you may consider the Nosler 129 Accubond Long Range (ABLR), it works great with AR Comp. Also Massey has also done some testing with the Hornady Interlock 129 grain with good results from AR Comp.

Comment

Working...
                              X