• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kcb38
    Warrior
    • Jun 2017

Extractor deformed case head lip

As I was measuring headspace on some once fired Hornady brass I notice the the case head wasn't totally flat on a bunch of them. There's a .002" bump on the lip that I found while spinning the case in the calipers to get it to settle for an accurate measurement. Upon examination it seems that it was the extractor that was causing it but I couldn't imagine why. Turns out there was carbon or debris or something on the bolt face that wasn't letting the case head sit flat during chambering. I was able to recreate it on several undamaged cases with the bolt removed from the rifle.

I cleaned the bolt face and now the problem is gone but now my question is, what about the rest of the fired cases? Does a 0.002 bump on the lip pose any danger? I assume it'll flatten out when fired but if it's not sitting perfectly flat on the bolt face, could I see shortened case life or even be risking case head separation? Forgive me if I'm overthinking this but I'm totally new to it and have zero personal experience to draw from. I'd rather ask the stupid questions than risk damage or injury. TIA
    Last edited by kcb38; 02-28-2019, 01:15 PM.
    - Kirk -
Working...
X