• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caleb90
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2019

123gr nosler bthp oal issue

my nosler 123 gr bthp heads came in.loaded one up per nosler data 2.250 oal, went to chamber to make sure it functioned and a big negative. bullet got stuck in the lands. i have to set the bullet at 2.200 for it to cycle fine which is a good ways under there data. any of you guys run into this?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I would say that's probably a short throat issue and not a problem with the bullet itself.

Do you have any other 123 target bullets you can measure the throat length with? 123 eld-m, 123 scenar, 123 smk.

But that length you stated seems like your barrel has a very short throat. Who's barrel?

Comment

• caleb90
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2019

hardened arms barrel. factory hornady black ammo 123gr eld measures 2.240 and chambers just fine

Comment

• caleb90
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2019

the bullets are blems from shooters pro shop

Comment

• Wargrendeleagle
          Warrior
          • Sep 2018

Did you try multiple bullets? Maybe that one was really blemished haha

Comment

• caleb90
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2019

multiple heads, multiple once fired brass multiple new brass. all come out to 2.200 to chamber. looking at the hornady bullet and the nosler side by side the noslers orgive goes farther to the tip than the hornady

Comment

• Bfglowkee
              Warrior
              • Jan 2019

That may be the issue there...fatter nosed bullet is all. I know Nosler data says 2.250 but if it takes loading to 2.200 to load properly I think your ok, just be wary of pressure and speed differences possibly. You may have a really snug chamber is all.

Comment

• caleb90
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2019

i put marker on a head and chambered and got no rifling marks, so i blackened one with a lighter and still couldnt tell where they are hitting

Comment

• 37L1
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2015

123 Nosler Custom Competition?

Chamber just fine in mine set a mag length.

I think A5 hit the nail on the head with the short throat. It's more common then you would think.

Comment

• caleb90
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2019

Originally posted by 37L1 View Post

I think A5 hit the nail on the head with the short throat. It's more common then you would think.
                    yes nosler custom competitions

Comment

• caleb90
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2019

went ahead and knocked em all down to 2.200. i started with 29gr of cfe 223 and worked up to a max of 31gr. but because i had to reduce the oal so much i pulled the heads out of the cases that had 31gr. will work my way up from 29gr to 30.6 gr as the max

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                        Warrior
                        • May 2017

Originally posted by 37L1 View Post

I have learned to check distance to lands for every bullet in every barrel that I use before loading any.
                        Saves the time wasted bullet pulling.

Comment

• caleb90
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2019

just got done shooting. 29gr 29.3 and 30.6gr of cfe gave me the best accuracy. i didnt have my crony so i dont have any velocity. my best group was about 1in for 3 shots. not steller by any means, factory hornady was giving me 3shot groups the size of a nickle. also judging by the primer, the lower charge weights show flatter primers. at around 30gr of powder the primer shoulders were getting round again and by 30.6gr the primer shoulders were still very round. this normal for cfe 223?

Comment

• LtDan
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2017

I think anyone who reloads should have a device to measure the bullet of choice to the lands.; I just spent the last three afternoons measuring the 5 Grendel Barrels I own plus my Valkyrie and several 556/223 barrels I now have a binder that contains all of my data. The first thing I measure is the chamber length by using a bullet that I trim the base in my lathe flat. I try to find out where this bullet stops in the chamber, that is I think important to realize if you have a short chamber or not. In reality every Grendel Barrel I own has a different measurement. I typically have 9 bullet types for the Grendel from 95 to 130 for each bullet in each barrel I know the base to lands and base to Ogive. It took a lot work but I feel that is the proper way to do it.

Comment

• Klem
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by caleb90 View Post
                              my nosler 123 gr bthp heads came in.loaded one up per nosler data 2.250 oal, went to chamber to make sure it functioned and a big negative. bullet got stuck in the lands. i have to set the bullet at 2.200 for it to cycle fine which is a good ways under there data. any of you guys run into this?
                              caelb,

It is not common to have a shorter throat than the ones used for manufacturer loading tables but it is also not unusual. You just have a shorter throat than their test barrel.

I would be cautious about their max recommended powder loads. Your shorter throat means are having to push your bullet deeper into the case which takes up more space. Less space, same powder = more pressure.

Comment

Working...
                              X