• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roor
    Warrior
    • Jan 2018

Found a winner!

Went to the range today to test out n135 with 108 and 123 scenar. I wish I had a chronograph to see how fast they were going, SD, etc. All shots were round robin style at 100 yards using bipod/rear bag. 100 is as far as I can go :/

108 - 27 | 27.2 | 27.4

123 - 26 | 26.4 | 26.8

All loaded up using CCI 450s and Lapua case. So what did I learn? Only 1 seems to be a bad load so I guess I gotta try again. I'll fine tune the 123 since they were big gaps between drops. I seem to get a better round group rate than stringing vertically.

Here's my messy target. Shot out of my Howa

• Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

Now you did it, spent some more of my money....N135. Just happen to have some of those "Scenarios" left.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Looks good. Keep us posted when you get to run them over the graph and get the speeds.

Comment

• roor
        Warrior
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
        Now you did it, spent some more of my money....N135. Just happen to have some of those "Scenarios" left.
        So far I'm liking it a lot better than XBR. Normal loads were probably just a bit compressed where n135 leaves a little room for a safety shake test. I also think the bigger contact area of scenars calls for a slower powder.

Comment

• Bazinga
          Bloodstained
          • May 2018

What was the COAL, Roor?

Comment

• roor
            Warrior
            • Jan 2018

COAL - 2.31 for both 108 and 123. This is for the Howa magazine to feed reliably.

CBTO - 1.776 for 123 | 1.771 for 108. Rather than adjust for same CBTO I just leave the seating die alone for consistency. I usually strive for .003 seating consistency rather then sort.

The only thing I'm missing is the distance to the lands since I can't measure that :/

Comment

• Bazinga
              Bloodstained
              • May 2018

Thanks!

Comment

• roor
                Warrior
                • Jan 2018

Bazinga- One thing to remember is there is no actual published data for 108s! The only sources I found list it as min 27.0 max 27.5

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Alexander Arms load data list start 27.0 grain VV N135 with 108 grain Scenar 27.3 grains as Max load (CCI 450 primers). I’ve used VV N133 & N135 powder and it is good powder just kind of pricey. I bought the VV powder when other powders suitable for the 6.5 Grendel & 5.56/223 was in short supply.

Comment

• Second
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

Vihtavuori offers rifle reloading data for numerous calibers and bullets for match and hunting purposes. Never exceed maximum loads.

Comment

• OpFor1
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2019

If you want to measure distance to the lands for your loads, take a sacrificial case and resize it. Use a Dremel and cut the neck down to the shoulder / body junction. Insert a bullet just barely in the neck by hand. I coat the bullet with a black sharpie, this will show you how much engraving you are getting when you insert the "round" into the chamber and close the bolt. The rifling will shove the bullet into the case. Extract your round and measure the difference between your sacrificial round and your loaded ammo. The difference is your ogive to lands measurement. Put your round somewhere where it wont get messed up for future measurements.

Also, you have to use the same bullet as you are loading with. Different bullets will give different measurements.
                      6.5-2.jpg

This is a 6.5-06 I did last week but the principal is the same.

Comment

• roor
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2018

I tried the method where you dimple an unsized case and it ended up sliding around when extracting and either fell out or got pushed in.

Two questions though: can I sacrafice a nosler case instead of a Lapua and still get the same measurement? 2 even though bullets are different, wouldn't measuring the dummy round CBTO be constant across all bullets

Thanks!

Comment

• OpFor1
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2019

If you have an actual bullet comparator, yes, measuring to the ogive would be the same provided the bullets have exactly the same diameter.
                          I don't have a comparator, so I measure the round base to tip.
                          Just remember that Speers used to be a different diameter, wolf bullets are a different diameter, etc.

Comment

• roor
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2018

Thanks Op! I gotta make my own ammo all the time unless I want to get my ammo shipped to an FFL :/. I don't think stores near me sell Grendel ammo. Thanks California

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2017

I have been using a similar method I came across in the forum to measure ogive to lands. Make the sacrificial case in the same way, only you also drill and thread the primer pocket. Then you thread a screw from the base of the brass up to the neck and seat a bullet on top of it deep enough that you know it won't hit the lands. Put the whole apparatus in the chamber and thread the screw in to push the bullet further out until you feel it hit the lands. So long as you don't turn the screw while pulling the brass back out of the chamber, it will preserve your measurement. The bullet will probably need pushed out with a cleaning rod, but just seat it onto the screw and measure OAL. I averaged like 5 measurements, all of which were within a few thousandths, so I think it's a fairly accurate method for a homemade tool.

Comment

Working...
                              X