• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OneHitWonder
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2018

Pleasantly surprised

Did some small sample chrono on three types of factory ammunition.

Hornady Black , Federal match and Wolf mil classic were used.

The average deviation and max deviation was best in the Wolf. Which should lead to some decent accuracy.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Where's the data?

Comment

• OneHitWonder
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
      Where's the data?

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

generally people post all the numbers, like MV's or avg MV, SD, ES for each set.
        Not really sure what "avg deviation" is, nor how many rounds shot for each set?
        what rifle or at least barrel length? if outdoors, what temperature, humidity? elevation?
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• OneHitWonder
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2018

Where's the data?
          Originally posted by grayfox View Post
          generally people post all the numbers, like MV's or avg MV, SD, ES for each set.
          Not really sure what "avg deviation" is, nor how many rounds shot for each set?
          what rifle or at least barrel length? if outdoors, what temperature, humidity? elevation?
          Last edited by OneHitWonder; 02-19-2019, 06:27 AM.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

Glad to see it's working for you. For ES (Extreme spread, that's the usual term for delta of high - low MV of a shot string) I like to see nbrs closer to your 223 data point, that's why I do a lot of hand loading. When you get to hand loading for your Grrr you should be able to get those closer spreads too.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by OneHitWonder View Post
              Cold 27* and rising through the shoot. Snow covered ground, completely evaporated during the shoot. Outdoors desert. 3500-4000’ elevation. PSA 20” SS barrel.

avg deviation = spread between high and low speeds
              Approximate velocity average of the three rounds string (did not write this down just a casual day BSing and shooting with friends.)
              Wolf 2450
              Black 2350
              Federal 2200

The cheap upper shooting cheap ammo is the plan. I was pleasantly surprised that the wolf will serve its purpose better than expected. Also surprised that the expensive ammo performed worse than the cheap steel case in spread. The accuracy battle can be decided by a quality bullet it would seem. But the wolf has potential loaded consistently.

As a baseline I brought some .223 I loaded in 2011. Over the chrono I was a 13fps spread, over five rounds. 2768-2781. The load book said they would be 2800. I used a 16” barrel. Test loads rarely use 16”.
              Sierra 52gn HPBT
              CCI 400
              28.5gn Varget
              Mixed brass
              Those speeds seem very slow too me. Both my 20 inch grendels one ar and one bolt action are much faster with the same ammo.

Is this a new barrel still doing break in?

Comment

• OneHitWonder
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2018

Those speeds seem very slow too me. Both my 20 inch grendels one ar and one bolt action are much faster with the same ammo.

Is this a new barrel still doing break in?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by OneHitWonder View Post
                  Brand new barrel. The speeds all might be low by 1000. I don’t remember the exact numbers. We just went straight into spread calculations on the run.

Did two energy calculations. MV x MV x bullet weight in grains /divided by 450,240 = energy

The one I did with wolf. Came out to 1333.xxxx

The one for the .223 handloads was 889.xxxx
                  That's probably what it is then. Both my 20 inch barrels make round 100 fps or more in speed with those same factory loads.

The federal fusion is close too 2500 in both my barrels infact.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

Come to think of it, I have a 12.5 which shoots the 100 gr eldm, at 2451 ft/s.
                    Maybe your speeds will increase as barrel breaks in.
                    Don't forget your notebook and pen/pencil during chrony sessions!! that data gives you a lot of good info.
                    Keep shootin' safely.

Comment

Working...
                    X