• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JMG97
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2019

6.5 Grendel dies

I have never reloaded and just purchased a Howa mini in 6.5 Grendel. I am wanting to reload to get some more accurate ammo.My grandpa has everything needed to reload except the dies. It seems the majority of guys here are suggesting Redding dies. I'm not quite ready to spend $309 on the competition die set. Does anyone have experience with the Deluxe 3 die set, or should I start with a lower cost set like Hornady custom grade and upgrade later?

Thanks in advance,

Jim
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

You can get started and do well with the hornady's. I have those and they work well, for 4 grendels.
    I've been reloading in general since the 70's, mostly rcbs stuff but these are hornady's.
    Also get their shell holders, I got 2, I think they are #6 for the Grendel.
    If you need to trim (and most do), for the rcbs trim pro it's #32 holder but dbl-check me on that, I'm not down at my bench right now.
    Once you get into the reload process there's a couple more tips and tricks that will help you standardize for your howa.

Welcome aboard!
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Redding for the bolt action. Get the Redding bushing neck sizer die for sizing. Messure the neck of a loaded round with whatever brass you intend to use with your loads and get the bushing one or two sizes smaller then the messured neck size of a loaded round.

Get the Redding bushing micro adjustable bullet seater and put the same size bushing in it that you get for the bushing neck sizing die.

This is what I use for my howa mini grendel. Been making some great loads for me.

Hope this helps sir.

Comment

• JMG97
        Unwashed
        • Feb 2019

Thanks, gray fox!

Comment

• JMG97
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
          Redding for the bolt action. Get the Redding bushing neck sizer die for sizing. Messure the neck of a loaded round with whatever brass you intend to use with your loads and get the bushing one or two sizes smaller then the messured neck size of a loaded round.

Get the Redding bushing micro adjustable bullet seater and put the same size bushing in it that you get for the bushing neck sizing die.

This is what I use for my howa mini grendel. Been making some great loads for me.

Hope this helps sir.

Is this the correct one?

Comment

• Popeye212
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2018

I have the Forsters for the Grendel and bought the Hornady's for the Creedmoor. When Forster's become available again for the Creedmoor I will give the Hornady's to my grandson and buy the Forster. There is that much difference between the two.

Comment

• Wargrendeleagle
              Warrior
              • Sep 2018

I've got the hornadys myself. I've seen a few people mention it but should I get a factory crimp die? Like the Lee for example, from what u saw it was the only Lee product worth buying for the Grendel.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by JMG97 View Post
                Yes that's the bullet seating die I was talking about.

Comment

• SDW
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2018

Use anything but Lee dies, apparently.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                    Warrior
                    • May 2017

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
                    I have the Forsters for the Grendel and bought the Hornady's for the Creedmoor. When Forster's become available again for the Creedmoor I will give the Hornady's to my grandson and buy the Forster. There is that much difference between the two.
                    I thoroughly agree!

Comment

• Popeye212
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Mad Charlie View Post
                      I thoroughly agree!
                      Found out the real difference in the seating dies especially with Spitzer style bullets.

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

OP, you have a couple of choices here, one is economical/get started well, and 1 is basically top dollar excellent dies.
                        Depending on your budget and tastes, well, you can decide.
                        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by JMG97 View Post
                          I have never reloaded and just purchased a Howa mini in 6.5 Grendel. I am wanting to reload to get some more accurate ammo.
                          Thanks in advance,

Jim
                          You could try partial resizing. A member here did this systematically but I can't find the post. He got better groups.
                          I do it and have gotten better groups while doing it. The cartridge / rifle is a machine system. The better aligned it is, the more precise it will be.

My searching found this.
                          Last edited by bj139; 02-13-2019, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• okiecat
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2017

I don't see where the redding die from Midway link takes a bushing. I didn't know they made a seater die that used the sizer bushings.

Comment

• JMG97
                              Unwashed
                              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                              OP, you have a couple of choices here, one is economical/get started well, and 1 is basically top dollar excellent dies.
                              Depending on your budget and tastes, well, you can decide.
                              That's the delima. I was wondering if I could get by spending around $150 and not $300+ and have similar outcomes.

Comment

Working...
                              X