• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TomSawyerNW
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

Shipping Ammunition - What are the Rules

Has anyone shipped ammo through US Postal Service, Fed Express and UPS? I have some ammo that I want to put up for sale, and was curious about the experience or recommendation others may have.
    If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.
  • TNhuntsman
    Warrior
    • Nov 2018

Ammo is a no go through USPS.
    It can be shipped through UPS, I believe you just have to mark the box ORM-D, I have some .308 for sale and that is how I plan on shipping it if it sells.
    Not sure about Fedex.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

I shipped some too rabbiddawg a few years ago throw the post office.

Can't remember off the top of my head what I had too do put I remember they charged me a hazmat fee.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

you might want to re-think that... if commercial ammo try a local gun show, if hand loaded, what about potential liabilities - the buyer could sue for any number of things.
        Any commercial ammo I would sell is ftf, handloads - no, not for me.
        UPS does all the ammo I get from vendors fwiw.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Growler
          Warrior
          • Jan 2019

From the source:

Comment

• snell
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2018

I've often shipped ammo through UPS with no problems. You do have to add the ORM-D label however.

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
              Warrior
              • Nov 2015

After posting, I did check the local USPS post office (the people upfront finally concluded it was alright...but as an afterthought, one called her supervisor who immediately said NO). I guess my other options are UPS and Fed Ex.

This aren't reloads, but some extra Les Baer Black Hills 123 Sierra Matchking I have on hand.
              If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

• TexHill
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2019

It is against federal law to ship ammunition USPS - which is kind of weird because they will ship firearms. UPS will ship ammunition, but they will not take it at your local UPS Store. You have to take it to your nearest distribution center - where they actually load the trucks. I suggest that you take a copy of their own rules that state that they will ship ammunition, because a lot of times their own employees do not know that ammunition or firearms can be shipped UPS and they will try and tell you that UPS will not ship ammo.

Also, it is against federal law to sell ammunition that you have assembled yourself - reloads or first runs - without the appropriate FFL.
                Last edited by TexHill; 02-09-2019, 06:13 PM.
                When David met Goliath everyone else said, "He's too big to defeat". David said, "He's too big to miss!"

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2015

Thanks, TexHill. I dropped by the UPS store today, and in fact, they said they didn't ship ammo. Upon further inquiry and my stating that their rules show they do ship ammo, the guy went on and said, 'well, we never have, and I don't know what's required.' So, I guess I proved you point...lol. This is becoming quite an adventure.

Comment

• TNhuntsman
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2018

Originally posted by TomSawyerNW View Post
                    Thanks, TexHill. I dropped by the UPS store today, and in fact, they said they didn't ship ammo. Upon further inquiry and my stating that their rules show they do ship ammo, the guy went on and said, 'well, we never have, and I don't know what's required.' So, I guess I proved you point...lol. This is becoming quite an adventure.
                    The UPS store is not UPS, there's just a partnership, you have to ship it from a UPS hub. If I don't sell my .308 ammo in the next few weeks, I'll take it to the gun show and see if I can trade it for some 6.5 grendel ammo, probably be less hassle too.

Comment

• TexHill
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by TomSawyerNW View Post
                      The UPS store can't/won't ship ammo or firearms because they're not owned by UPS. They're independent franchises and part of their contract says that they can't accept certain items, but regular UPS will.

I managed a gun store for a few years, so I had to learn all this stuff.
                      When David met Goliath everyone else said, "He's too big to defeat". David said, "He's too big to miss!"

Comment

Working...
                      X