Getting tired of chasing the right mix. What's the market on 1x brass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Getting tired of chasing the right mix. What's the market on 1x brass?

I am becoming convinced that the relative low case capacity of the Grendel is causing extreme difficulty if not impossible to get the stars to align (Low SD, ES, and consistent POI).

I have way more load development results than I care to admit where shooting 5 round groups as the SD/ES start to drop (3/10) the groups open up (1.75+ MOA), contrariwise I get raged holes but disgusting SD/ES (30/60). I don't think you can adjust the jump to lands enough to tighten that up.

Fine if I am shooting 300y and closer, I could care less about consistent velocity. I am trying to play at what is now considered medium range and at the limits of the Grendels ability and it's driving me nuts trying to get a load that works.

An example of what I am talking about, here is a sample of a .1 grain increment showing the variance in accuracy and sd/es. NOTE - I multiplied the MOA by 10 to get it up into the rest of the graph instead of being a line across the bottom. I lack the brain power to do a proper chart without manipulating the data.

Chart.jpg

I would have never thought that one would see that much variations from a tenth of a grain. I can assure you that I am meticulous in my loading these to be as consistent as possible. I loaded up 10 rounds for each charge weight, and the first 5 were shot in the morning when I started, the second set was in the afternoon. Velocities and SD/ES were in line with each other (minor changes ~ 1%), though accuracy was on average better but still the same spread from good to bad. Just .5 MOA better across the board.

I'm about ready to throw in the towel, start buying in bulk Hornady Black and sell off minor prep work (deprime and cleaned) 1x brass at $.30 per.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Like a kitty cat chasing the laser pointer?? lol.

hey, send me the data (pm), and what kind of powder, bullet, coal and barrel.
    I like to plug n chug.

btw the word on the street is you see more weeds than info at 0.1gr increments...probably b/c the ~0.3% delta in powder is typically lost in other variances, like actual case volumes which might have 1-2% deltas, case to case.
    Have you thought about lapua brass?

one more thought, for the hornady's brass I think they come into their steadiness at the 2x+ fired state...

just a couple of ideas here, I'm by no means the expert precision shooter.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Careful of what you ask for.

PM Inbound with link to data.

These cases were all on 3x firing.

The .1 grain increment was a trial, as that is how I found the sweet spot for my PRC that gave me a full .1 grain to play in without worry about changes in the SD/ES. I target 54.14 (have a scale that does .02 gr increments, or 1 stick of RL26) and don't have to worry if it's 54.10 or 54.20
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Londerko
        Warrior
        • Apr 2018

Not trying to talk you out of reloading....
        But if you shot American Gunner and sold the brass for $.30 per, you would be shooting for the same price as Wolf steel....

Comment

• FW Conch
          Warrior
          • Nov 2014

Sticks, not sure what Your end goal is ? Do You want to put 5 on a 10" gong at 1,000yds, or do You want to be a true competitor.

My Btother In Law is a successful competitor at 600 & 1,000yds. He uses a laboratory scale that measures powder "to the kernel". A fellow competitor was complaining about consistency and My BIL asked, "are You weighing Your primers"? For cases, nothing less than Laupa is even considered, neck turned, weighed, volume sorted...of course.

Much depends on the end goal and the limitations of the platform.

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Londerko View Post
            Not trying to talk you out of reloading....
            But if you shot American Gunner and sold the brass for $.30 per, you would be shooting for the same price as Wolf steel....
            I prefer the higher BC of the Black ammo

Originally posted by FW Conch View Post
            Sticks, not sure what Your end goal is ? Do You want to put 5 on a 10" gong at 1,000yds, or do You want to be a true competitor.

My Btother In Law is a successful competitor at 600 & 1,000yds. He uses a laboratory scale that measures powder "to the kernel". A fellow competitor was complaining about consistency and My BIL asked, "are You weighing Your primers"? For cases, nothing less than Laupa is even considered, neck turned, weighed, volume sorted...of course.

Much depends on the end goal and the limitations of the platform.
            And shooter abilities. Right now, I am a consistent .4 MOA shooter. Not 100% every time, but more often that not.

I don't have the time to dedicate to being a competitor in that respect. I shoot 1 monthly match, and it's low profile. This is a hobby/recreation. First round hits at known distances is my goal. 1 shot per target, hit or miss, move on to the next at a different range and azimuth.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
            X