• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gaak
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2018

Factory Ammo Questions

Let the fun begin...I took my Grendel out today for the first time. Hornady Black 123gr.
    Step 1. Bore Sight.
    Step 2. Hang really big piece of paper at 50 yards.
    Step 3. Pew, Pew....Click Click Click(more than 3 clicks really but I didn't count) Pew, Pew, Pew. the orange on this paper is 2 inch circle, 3 round in it. Time to go to 100.
    Step 4. Hang 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper at 100 yards
    Step 5. Pew, Pew, Pew....bunch of clicks.....rounds in the orange.

Fired a few more and broke my rule of never go home with no ammo for a gun.

Now the quesions. Long term I will load so that is a discussion for another day.
    18 inch barrel 1x8 twist
    I know every gun will be different, every shooter will be different. That being said, what factory ammo and weight are people having success with?
    Even once I work up a load, I always like to have a factory load that performs well in my back pocket.
    PLUS...I am going to be a good boy and put dies, shell plate, etc on my Santa list for Mrs Claus to get me instead of just buying it myself..So now I'm out of rounds until I place an order and wait patiently for brown truck Santa to bring it.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

My gun shoots 123g hornady American gunner and 123g eldm very well. I would hunt with the eldm but probably not the american gunner

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I like Hornady 123 grain ELD-M Black and the Hornady American Gunner 123 grain BTHP sold by Sportsmans Warehouse are probably the two most popular. I haven’t purchased the AG because Sportsman Warehouse will not ship to Illinois.

Comment

• gaak
        Unwashed
        • Nov 2018

VASCAR2 - a fellow individual from the formerly great state of Illinois. Finding companies to ship here is challenging.

Comment

• slip357
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2018

The hornady 123gr. black box shoots in 1 hole out of my rifle.

Comment

• imaguy3
            Warrior
            • Mar 2018

are the "clicks" rounds that didn't fire?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

No trying to be rude OP but I can't seem too follow what your trying to tell us.

Are you saying you had a bunch of dud's or is it your trying to tell us your rifle didn't shoot the eld-m ammo to your likeing?

Comment

• Londerko
                Warrior
                • Apr 2018

Comment

• Popeye212
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2018

Ok I will try to translate "Shoot 2 rounds (pew pew) adjust scope 3 clicks maybe more. Go to hundred yards shoot more rounds ( multiple pews) adjust scope quite a few clicks of the dial needed. Ran out of ammo and went home ammoless

Comment

• BCHunter
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2018

Thanks popeye, that makes sense now.

Short answer is hornady 123 grain black. Reputation for shooting well in most guns, reputation for adequate hunting performance, mid range priced.

Suggestion, take a couple shots at 25 yards before going to 50.... who doesn't count y
                    Their clicks when adjusting scope? Take shot calculate adjustment between poa and poi add adjustment to scope.

Comment

• gaak
                      Unwashed
                      • Nov 2018

Thanks Popeye appreciate the interpretation

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

You can't beat an ammo can full (200 rounds) of American Gunner from Sportsmans Warehouse for $140 shipped.

Comment

• Redomen
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2016

I hunt with 123 SST. It shoots well from all of my builds. I will work up some 129 ABLR’s in the near future mainly for my 12.7” build. I hear factory black works well for hunting. I shoot factory SST due to the fact that I can not seem to make them any more accurate than the factory. I prefer accuracy over velocity.

Comment

• slip357
                            Bloodstained
                            • Oct 2018

I put mine on paper at 100 with wolf and then switched to the good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                            X