• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
    The 130 class are suitable for the Howa bolt action where you can get the 2.3+ COAL, which in turn, gives you more room for powder to get the velocities. I've gotten into the 2700s where the sticky bolt started. I backed way off. You simply will not get there in an AR. Especially with the Nosler RDF (I can't get them to run in my PRC either).

Having said that...then you can push the 123 class that much faster. I tried some and also got into the 2700s but the recoil was uncomfortable... Just felt bad/wrong, but no pressure signs.

I will continue to develop the 130 ELD. Have 1k of them, so I will get them to run. Going to try the CFE, as it's the only powder that I have not tried it with.
    Just load those in your super Grendel.

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

I am getting stupid consistent accuracy (.3 - .4) and low SD/ES with RL26, and 147 ELD at 3030fps. I can't shoot my 4" plate at 300 anymore. Keeps knocking my stand over after it spins the plate a couple times. That starts to turn into a long walk to keep setting it back up.

The 130 RDF at a velocity node grouped (5 shots) at near 2". I have 2 expensive Nosler paperweight boxes. I don't think any amount of land jump adjustment is going to help that.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• rmrvtr
        Unwashed
        • Nov 2017

Popeye212,

In my 24" Brownells barrel the 130 eldm over 27.7gr of AA2520 (cci450's) is the ticket. True it starts off slow at 2370 fps but the groups are what keep me coming back (.3" to .4" groups at 100 yards). I just loaded 50 of them up last night.

Cheers.

rmrvtr

Comment

• Popeye212
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2018

rmrvtr sounds like a good load but my barrel is 20" so that tags about 120fps. off of it. May try the after the first of the year my son can always put em in his Creed.

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

rmrvtr - What COAL and did you go higher than the 27.7 grains?
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• kmon
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2015

I like the 129s and 130s in my Grendels a 24 inch barrel Overwatch AA upper and a CZ 527 with a 22 inch Obermeyer 1:8;.4 barrel. Both I am shooting the Berger hybrid and Accubond LR at jsut below 2500fps. Accuracy is as good or better than the 123s and works well out to 600 yards busting rocks. I am loading both to 2.27 inches and with the Bergers getting .3 if I do my part in the CZ abd .75 in the AR at 100. Where i hunt now 300 yards is a long shot at about 1450 feet elevation. Do the math and with either bullet I have more energy at 400 yards than factory 243 loads have. THe 129gr LRAB and Berger 130 Hybrid get 30.6 gr CFE 223 which and CCI 450s. I shoot the CZ lot more than the AR so settled on loads that would work for both of my rifles but are tuned for the CZ.

I figure if I did not like the 130s when I got them I could just burn them through the 6.5-284, 264 Win Mag or 6.5X54MS.

LOADS LISTED i DEEM SAFE IN MY RIFLES YOUR MILAGE MAY VARY. Standard disclaimer or start lower and workup in yours

Comment

• rmrvtr
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2017

Sticks,

1. The COAL was just below 2.260" (2.2595"). I can look up the Length to the ogive if that helps too?
                2. Yes I have gone as high as 27.8 gr but the SD and ES numbers started to open up just a touch so I stopped there. No pressure signs were observed on the brass of any of these loads.
                Velocity for 27.7 and 27.8 were pretty consistent, 27.7gr had a crazy low SD of 2.1 fps and an ES of 5 fps, while for 27.8gr load the SD was 7.1 fps and ES was 17 fps.

Also see images below of an analysis of the analysis of the chrono data. Please note the following images are screen shots of an excel file created by Steve Lawrence from "65guys" on youtube(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKxf-dbexMM&t=1731s), its worth checking out.

6-29-18 130 eldm chrono data.JPG

Graph 1: plot of each velocity.
                6-29-18_Graph 1.JPG

Graph 2: plots Standard deviations
                6-29-18_Graph 2.JPG

And for reference here is the target from the above loads:
                target.JPG
                Attached Files

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by rmrvtr View Post
                  Sticks,

1. The COAL was just below 2.260" (2.2595"). I can look up the Length to the ogive if that helps too?
                  I will go over my notes on that load and see what I was getting at 2.32 COAL.
                  Last edited by Sticks; 11-17-2018, 10:09 AM.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• SDguy
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2015

Flat base 129 grain Hornady SP over Leverevolution has merit based on my loads from a 24" 1 in 9 twist Bolt action CZ 527 & the 1 in 8 Factory 24 " cz 527 barrel. Best velocitys of any load I have shot from the CZ 527 by a good margin.

Comment

Working...
                    X