• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

Why should I load 130gr. Convince me

Kicking around the idea of loading some 130gr. bullets. My head tells that bullet is too heavy for the Grrr and can't be driven to the velocities it needs to be at to perform to it's potential. Where is the flaw in my reasoning?
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

For my howa 20" HB...
    129 sst, CFE=2457, sd-10; 30.8=2467, sd-6. 2.280 coal.
    129 Ablr, CFE , cci450, 2450, sd=5, coal 2.305
    130 Nos Accubond, CFE =2467, SD 3. coal 2.300.
    All less than 1" at 100 yds.

I expect my new 20" BA AR style to do similarly.

ymmv.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
      Kicking around the idea of loading some 130gr. bullets. My head tells that bullet is too heavy for the Grrr and can't be driven to the velocities it needs to be at to perform to it's potential. Where is the flaw in my reasoning?
      I think your reasoning is correct.

Comment

• Cajuntransplant
        Bloodstained
        • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
        I think it’s too heavy as well. I’ve read handful of posts on here with people running them though with mixed reviews. I prefer the lighter stuff in my Grendel like the 107TMK and 123ELDM and I just started playing around with my new barrel with the 100gr ELDM bullets. I leave the 130’s for my 6.5Creed rifle. The lighter weight rounds are where the grendel really shines in my opinion. Still waiting for hornady to drop something in the 105-115 weight range in the ELDX format.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
          Warrior
          • Nov 2017

Why should I load 130gr. Convince me
          1. Because it is fun
          2. It would be interesting to see if it actually performs like you think it will.
          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Popeye212
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
            For my howa 20" HB...
            129 sst, CFE=2457, sd-10; 30.8=2467, sd-6. 2.280 coal.
            129 Ablr, CFE , cci450, 2450, sd=5, coal 2.305
            130 Nos Accubond, CFE =2467, SD 3. coal 2.300.
            All less than 1" at 100 yds.

I expect my new 20" BA AR style to do similarly.

ymmv.
            Very interested in the results in the BA I have that same barrel. If I can't get it moving in the 2500fps range I can't see the reasoning for it. Time to play with Strelok

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

I took them along on my cow-elk hunt (that one where the elk chickened out and didn't show, LOL!!!), I was planning on using them for a shot 300 yds or under, at 9500 elev.
              At my elevation, ~330, the Ablr stays > 1000 ftlb ke to 400 yds, and stays above 1300 ft/s out to 850 yds.

Now mind you I'm not good enough to throw them way out there, but 850-that's a "fur piece" of territory; they would still would work for medium game (450-500)... farther than I would want to shoot.

I doubt if I can get them to 2500, but that 2450 would still do well imo.

Comment

• Bigs28
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2016

While not 130g the 129g ablr is worth loading for hunting.

Comment

• grendelnubi
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2017

I second that Bigs28. It is my go to moving forward for both hunting and long range. I have been extremly successfull with it in hunting and long range. Was hitting a 1 MOA plate at 500 yards first time shooting past 200 yards.

Comment

• Popeye212
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2018

Looking at the 130 GameChanger tipped

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

I just got a box.... but I'm looking at it with the Creedmoor.
                      Sierra released some updated data (pdf) dated 11/2017, that has the TMK, I'd expect you'd use that to guide you in the TGK.

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

It's just physics;
                        Heavier bullets are bigger and to keep COAL at mag/chamber lengths you have to seat deeper into the case and that robs case capacity. Less capacity = less powder = less velocity = less range. Lighter bullets go faster but have lower BC's and fall out of the sky quicker. Most efficient for range in this calibre is around the 123weight. But, people load heavier and lighter for other reasons.

As long as the bullet is stable out of your barrel's twist rate then it should be a good experiment.

Comment

• Popeye212
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                          I just got a box.... but I'm looking at it with the Creedmoor.
                          Sierra released some updated data (pdf) dated 11/2017, that has the TMK, I'd expect you'd use that to guide you in the TGK.
                          Can I borrow about 15 of em......
                          I have just about abandoned this idea still need to finish working with the 120 Nosler BT's
                          Last edited by Popeye212; 11-14-2018, 01:06 AM.

Comment

• biodsl
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                            Most efficient for range in this calibre is around the 123weight.
                            I agree with Klem's conclusion. I've fooled around with the 130 class a bit and just haven't gotten the speeds or accuracy that gives and advantage over the 123s. I had hopes that the high BC of the 130 RDF might be magic but I can't get the thing to group. I keep going back to the Hornady Amax/ELD 123 grain.
                            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Sticks
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2016

The 130 class are suitable for the Howa bolt action where you can get the 2.3+ COAL, which in turn, gives you more room for powder to get the velocities. I've gotten into the 2700s where the sticky bolt started. I backed way off. You simply will not get there in an AR. Especially with the Nosler RDF (I can't get them to run in my PRC either).

Having said that...then you can push the 123 class that much faster. I tried some and also got into the 2700s but the recoil was uncomfortable... Just felt bad/wrong, but no pressure signs.

I will continue to develop the 130 ELD. Have 1k of them, so I will get them to run. Going to try the CFE, as it's the only powder that I have not tried it with.
                              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                              X