• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glk45
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2018

Looking for answers AR Grendel.

My AR shoots Hornady 123 SST ammo @ 3/4 MOA. I've tried RL 15, AR Comp, AA2250 , IMR 8208 , H 4895, Win 748, CFE 223, Benchmark. I can get descent groups at 100 yds. but nothing less than 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 at 200. I'm using Horn. brass CCI # 41's. I'm using Redding type S bushing die with .283 bushing the .284 doesn't give enough neck tension to prevent forward bullet movement. I don't have the expander ball in the bushing die. I'm baffled. I've never run into this in all the tears i,ve been reloading.
  • glk45
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2018

Originally posted by glk45 View Post
    My AR shoots Hornady 123 SST ammo @ 3/4 MOA. I've tried RL 15, AR Comp, AA2250 , IMR 8208 , H 4895, Win 748, CFE 223, Benchmark. I can get descent groups at 100 yds. but nothing less than 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 at 200. I'm using Horn. brass CCI # 41's. I'm using Redding type S bushing die with .283 bushing the .284 doesn't give enough neck tension to prevent forward bullet movement. I don't have the expander ball in the bushing die. I'm baffled. I've never run into this in all the tears i,ve been reloading.
    The SST's loaded at 2.270 are . 95 thousands off the lands.

Comment

• RiverRider
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

I think that depends on the way the chamber is reamed. My Faxon 16-inch has more freebore than the other two barrels I've fiddled with.

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

I guess im missing the question.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

What are you baffled about? 3/4 minute is just fine. Doesn't appear that anything is wrong.

If you think the performance is bad, you should consider trying a different bullet.

LR55

Comment

• Dead Center Miss
            Warrior
            • Sep 2018

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
            What are you baffled about? 3/4 minute is just fine. Doesn't appear that anything is wrong.

If you think the performance is bad, you should consider trying a different bullet.

LR55
            From the way I am understanding it,he is having trouble duplicating the accuracy of the factory loads.

Although, 1.5 inch at 200 is .75 moa......

Comment

• glk45
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2018

I meant 1 1/2- 2 1/2 MOA @ 200. Tried the 123 ELD's today with same results. I've also tried 100 & 120 NBT's
              Last edited by glk45; 09-16-2018, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• RiverRider
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

So, what kind of dispersion are you getting at 200? Vertical, horizontal, random??

Myself, I've had to work hard at shooting an AR even at 100. I've shot conventional bolt-action sporters for many years but when I started working for accuracy in the AR15 platform, I had to adapt. A bipod helped a lot. Even still, shooting good groups at 200 is much more difficult even with a very accurate bolt gun. I haven't read all your posts so maybe you haven't described your experience. I make my own targets using PowerPoint and print them as needed and have found that a target that works well at 200 has to be well thought out.

Even if you're having no technique issues, a load that shoots well at 100 is not guaranteed to shoot well at 200. Maybe you should pursue your load development at 200 exclusively. I think that's what I'd try.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2016

I will be that guy.......

It is not always the rifle or the bullet; might wanna look at the shooter.
                  Just saying.....
                  We are quick to blame to something else even though we are Navy SEAL, Sniper, Ranger, SF, God of War, and Call of Duty qualified.
                  ― George Orwell

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

glk45,

Unconvinced there is an issue here other than wind. If you can shoot well at 100 it may be explained by environmental interference. By that I mean double the wind. Which is why most shooting for groups occurs at 100. If you think the bullet is starting to yaw or go unstable it won't suddenly do that after 100, it will have been doing that from the muzzle. You will see it in the shape of the holes and in an exponential widening of groups beyond 200. Have you shot 300 or 400 with these rounds?

Comment

• glk45
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2018

I havn't shot in the wind. I try not to when working up loads. I can't shoot 300, 400 & 500 until the corn is harvested. If i have a 1 MOA group @ 100 it's 1 1/2 MOA or larger at 200 not vert. or horiz. stringing. I'm shooting of a solid rest with rear bag.

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

I havn't shot in the wind. I try not to when working up loads. I can't shoot 300, 400 & 500 until the corn is harvested. If i have a 1 MOA group @ 100 it's 1 1/2 MOA or larger at 200 not vert. or horiz. stringing. I'm shooting of a solid rest with rear bag.
                        Something is not right here. The only time I have seen groups blow out like the mouth of a trumpet is when they approach subsonic down range. That won't happen between 100 and 200. One other thought comes to mind is the bullet is spinning too fast and over-stabilised. It resists pointing down after apogee. If you are shooting normal bullets with normal twist rates for 6.5 that won't happen either.

If it is groups shot at 100 and 200 on the same day with the same ammunition it has to be wind. It doesn't have to be blowing a gale for this to happen. Air is always moving and the bullet moves with it.

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

It could be the shooter. It could be the technique, the cheek weld... It could be the trigger. It could be the ammo (higher SD values than you think, so MV's actually varying more widely than thought). It could be the optics. It could be your eyes, the brightness/clarity of the 200 yd targets... It could be the wind. There are several places to look.

We really need more info on your build, barrel, scope, mount, etc, trigger, type of rests your using, is it a solid bench, etc etc...
                          How many rounds downrange... ie, is this build still in a break-in mode...
                          Lots of things to look into.

Do you have pictures of the build, of the targets, you can post...
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                            It could be the shooter. It could be the technique, the cheek weld... It could be the trigger. It could be the ammo (higher SD values than you think, so MV's actually varying more widely than thought). It could be the optics. It could be your eyes, the brightness/clarity of the 200 yd targets... It could be the wind. There are several places to look.

We really need more info on your build, barrel, scope, mount, etc, trigger, type of rests your using, is it a solid bench, etc etc...
                            How many rounds downrange... ie, is this build still in a break-in mode...
                            Lots of things to look into.

Do you have pictures of the build, of the targets, you can post...
                            Ding ding ding we have a winner folks, first person to post the right answer.

We need more info on your setup sir.

Comment

• Arkhangel5
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2016

After reading all the posts here, especially the OP's. My main take away from it is, he is hunting around an accurate load.

My advice, pick one combo, and practice with it. 1 bullet, 1 powder, 1 primer. I would consider the ELD, easy bullet to shoot accurately.

Start over using just a regular die, you are making it it complicated by using bushing dies and adjusting neck tension etc.

As others have said, shooting an AR accurately and consistently takes time and practice. Keep it simple, work on the fundamentals.

As for the SST, it is not a match bullet, I would accept what it gives and adjust accordingly, but that's me.

SY

Comment

Working...
                              X