Hornady one shot spray lube, how do you spray your brass ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • longlickfriends77
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2018

Hornady one shot spray lube, how do you spray your brass ????

How do other members spray there brass ? And how many times do you spray the brass ? Do yall spray the inside of the necks? How long to let the brass dry before sizing?
    I never did put much thought behind lubing my cases, just made sure that they had lube, but not to much. I keep reading post about hornady one shot is the best lube to use?
    Reloaders have been using the old green sticky pad since forever, why should i change now?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Lmao, just noticed the name of your location lmao.

It would be hard for me to explain how I use it but there is a set if reloading for 6.5 grendel vids on youtube, I copter that guts technique for spraying my brass.

I like to get some in the case neck and like to give them bout 5 mints to dry before working them.

Look up the vids some good info in them.

Comment

• RiverRider
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

I think if you read enough of the web, you'll find that a LOT of guys try Hornady spray lube and end up sticking cases in their sizing dies. And you're likely also to see them advised that they're not reading and following directions. Be sure you do that and you should be fine.

I used the stuff briefly myself but didn't care for all the overspray so I quit using it. One of the beauties of it, though, is that you pretty much can't avoid getting a little inside the case necks and that's actually a good thing.

Among the veteran handloaders of highest repute, Imperial Sizing Die Wax is the top dog for case lubing. I'm using a tub of Hornady Unique that has lasted since about 2006, and I think I'm about halfway through it. When I finish it I'll go the Imperial. If I should live so long, that is.

Comment

• longlickfriends77
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2018

The last batch of brass i did with the one shot, i think i let it dry to much, i found it was harder to resize. I then spray it again and started to resize right after i sprayed, and it was alot easier and smoother.
        I just wanted to really find out what other people or using ? What works best for them,Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

• imaguy3
          Warrior
          • Mar 2018

I stuck a case with it when I first started reloading... but I don't think I had enough lube on.

I hold the can at roughly a 45* from my brass.. about 8" above it. I go at it from 3 diff sides (Think about overlaying a triangle to a square, and starting at each point of the triangle). Make sure you shake well and move slowly while spraying. When I first started Iwas moving too fast I think and not getting good coverage. I then let it dry while I setup my powder dispenser and what not... so a few minutes. I haven't stuck a case since and it's been over 1000 rounds that way.

When I'm done I hose my loading block off with brake cleaner for the overspray, and then wash the brass in hot soapy water in my ultrasonic cleaner... then several passes of clean water. The result is clean/dry brass.

Comment

• rwh
            Warrior
            • Jun 2014

I use lanolin/alcohol but the idea is the same. I dump a bunch of cases in a plastic tub, hit them with some spray, roll the cases around, hit them with a second spray and then let them dry for a few minutes and size. With spray you would have to work at it to keep the lube from getting inside the neck. I tumble in corncob for a few minutes to get the lube off and then load and shoot.

Comment

• 1Shot
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

I have used Hornady one shot SPRAY not the pump bottle. The pump bottle stuff did give me some stuck cases. I have NEVER had a stuck case with the SPRAY one shot. I put my cases neck up in a plastic ammo tray that comes with pistol ammo putting a case in every other slot. I then spray downward letting it get in the inside of the neck and then spray the sides lightly. I then give a shot up into the sizing die. I then let it dry about 5 minutes. No dented shoulders and perfect easy sizing every time.

Comment

• DDRanch
                Warrior
                • Jul 2017

I throw a couple of handfuls of brass in a large zip lock bag, a couple a shots of One Shot, close bag, shake bag, than load.

Comment

• Dead Center Miss
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2018

I throw my brass in a old plastic gallon jar, shoot some spray in it (I use RCBS) and shake em around a bit. Have never stuck a case and very nice even coating.

Comment

• Dead Center Miss
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2018

If I'm reforming or doing anything bigger then 308 I use Bullsize.

Comment

• longlickfriends77
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by 1Shot View Post
                      I have used Hornady one shot SPRAY not the pump bottle. The pump bottle stuff did give me some stuck cases. I have NEVER had a stuck case with the SPRAY one shot. I put my cases neck up in a plastic ammo tray that comes with pistol ammo putting a case in every other slot. I then spray downward letting it get in the inside of the neck and then spray the sides lightly. I then give a shot up into the sizing die. I then let it dry about 5 minutes. No dented shoulders and perfect easy sizing every time.
                      1Shot the can of one shot that i have also says on the can that it is a gun cleaner as well, does this sound correct to you?

Comment

• Drillboss
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by longlickfriends77 View Post
                        1Shot the can of one shot that i have also says on the can that it is a gun cleaner as well, does this sound correct to you?
                        Nope. That's a gun cleaner and dry lube. Hornady also sells One Shot Case Lube.

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

I use the spray 1shot, shake the dickens out of the can for about 2 minutes, then spray at about the 45* angle from 2 or 3 sides - the cases are upright in a case holder... this places some spray into the case necks which is good. Then let it dry for an hour or so. Before transititioning make sure you clean the inside of your resizing die.
                          Don't re-size them wet, that's what leads into problems.
                          I have a spot on one of my benches, with a small towel laid down to catch the overspray. I also have one plastic case holder dedicated to the spray operation... again so overspray doesn't bother me much.
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• 1Shot
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2018

Originally posted by longlickfriends77 View Post
                            As has already been said you have the dry lube & gun cleaner. You need One Shot Case Lube.

Comment

• NightFisher
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2018

Originally posted by rwh View Post
                              I use lanolin/alcohol but the idea is the same. I dump a bunch of cases in a plastic tub, hit them with some spray, roll the cases around, hit them with a second spray and then let them dry for a few minutes and size. With spray you would have to work at it to keep the lube from getting inside the neck. I tumble in corncob for a few minutes to get the lube off and then load and shoot.
                              The lanolin/alcohol mix works better than anything I have tried.

Comment

Working...
                              X