• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

Frosty and her new Ballistic Advantage Barrel

Sorry about the mess I made out of the target but found a load Frosty likes. This what I expected out BA barrels. The 28.0 load is the 90th round out of her. I expect she will get better.

SMK120820808292018 (3).jpg

Have no idea what happened on the first shot out of that group but it was all on me on that one. Pic hard to read but last four were .292 In. .279 MOA
    Last edited by Popeye212; 08-29-2018, 04:09 PM.
  • CaptnC
    Warrior
    • May 2018

That's a very impressive group. Looks like you have a good load right there. Did you happen to get the speed on that load?

You plan to hunt with a 120 SMK?

Comment

• Popeye212
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2018

Did not chrono' will when I get restocked used the last 20 I had on that round. Testing that bullet in lieu of the 120 Game King. SMK is not a hunting bullet but I have heard good things about the Game King I will post up what I get with those should be similar.

Comment

• Londerko
        Warrior
        • Apr 2018

Comment

• Sticks
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2016

4 beautiful shots and a Stonehendge. Hate it when that happens
          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• 1Shot
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

Popeye the Sierra 120 Pro Hunter really shoots well for me at 28.5 grs IMR 8208 so you might want to SLOWLY bump your charge up to that when testing. This should get you 50 to 60 more FPS wit the same accuracy. Here will be your BIG PROBLEM. Finding some Sierra 120 PH bullets. Every place I have looked for them, all over the internet to all little and big town stores in 3 states I have been in have not had any for almost a year. I had a stash that has seen me through load work up and allowed me to load for up coming deer season because I also use this bullet in 6.5x55. When I find a good bullet I usually add a few hundred to my stash just in case of a drought like this. I found that the new 120 Speer Gold Dot shoots good and have stashed a few hundred of them already and hope to pick up some more as soon as funds allow. You never know when a company will change or just stop making your favorite bullet like Hornady did with the A-Max. I have killed a number of deer with Sierra MKs in 30 cal. and sometimes they work about like a Burger VLD hunting bullet and sometimes they act like a FMJ. The 120 Pro Hunter out of my 6.5x55 and my buddies 260 Rem. has worked 100% of the time with proper expansion and usually the result on a deer out to 400 to 500 yards is DRT. So at Grendel velocities which is what this bullet has slowed down to at the longer ranges the 120 PH should be a great inside 300 yards deer bullet. I hope to find out in late Oct. to mid Nov.

Comment

• Popeye212
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2018

I did see that on the Sierra site the PH is on backorder with hunting seasons coming up hopefully the will get them out. I will try some of the Gold Dots. The 123 SST's I just haven't had much luck with those. Going out today to see what I can find. Thanks for the heads up on the Pro Hunter thing. Looking at those groups again it appears to that all of them are similar on the first shot and I am thinking it's related to the barrel temp. I shoot 5 pick up the brass inspect, reload wait a bit then shoot 5 more. Any thoughts.

Comment

• CaptnC
                Warrior
                • May 2018

I've experienced great results out of the 120 Gold Dots. I can't recall the charge weight of H335 but I was getting 2525fps with an ES of 9 out of a 20" barrel. I think I have a picture of the 200yds target somewhere here in my phone.

Comment

• CaptnC
                  Warrior
                  • May 2018

The red dots are 3/4" and this was shot at 200 yards with the 120 GD's
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Popeye212
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2018

Capt the only thing about the Gold Dots is the rapid expansion thing. Will they hold up on a P-I-G Hawg? Great grouping for Speer always had trouble with those but great for hunting bullets. DRT's

Comment

• Gusmeister
                      Warrior
                      • May 2017

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
                      Capt the only thing about the Gold Dots is the rapid expansion thing. Will they hold up on a P-I-G Hawg? Great grouping for Speer always had trouble with those but great for hunting bullets. DRT's
                      Good morning,

Just for my clarity... are you speaking of Gold Dot's in general, Gold Dot rifle bullets or the 120gr 6.5 Speer bullet in specific? Since Speer has to anticipate this bullet being loaded in the 6.5 Creedmoor I wonder what speeds the bullet was designed for.

TY

Comment

• Popeye212
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2018

Here is the info on the rifle bullet.

It was intended for law enforcement and personal protection. The other Speer bullets I was referring to were loaded in .270 Win and .30-30 Win.
                        Last edited by Popeye212; 09-12-2018, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• Gusmeister
                          Warrior
                          • May 2017

I hear you Popeye (and yes... I am old enough to have grown up with the original Popeye cartoons). I've seen the Speer info on the bullet and it really does not tell us much. Certainly Speer figured out there are more uses for 6.5 mm bullets than just shooting barriers and people. Too much or too little expansion is velocity dependent for a specific design. Being a bonded bullet (more correctly a plated bullet) allows it to stay together better while expanding that a typical cup and core bullet. But staying together and massive expansion are bad for penetration.

I'll keep an eye out for some real world experience.

Comment

Working...
                          X