• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grendelnubi
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

Help me get started reloading - making decisions

I have a long time friend who is teaching me the in's and out's of reloading. He uses the RCBS press and it seems to be a good press. He has all of the premium grade accessories to work with that make it pretty easy.

I want to get started in reloading. Unfortunately, my budget is small and it may take a while but I first want to start focusing on the Grendel reloading to start.

I have purchased the reloading and hunting guides and have read them cover to cover. I have also picked up a few things at gun shows also.

Brownells has the Classic Hornady lock and load kit on sale now for around $250. It also comes with 500 projectiles from Hornady. Seems like a deal hard to pass up on. Just not sure if the system is a good system, I really like the idea of lock and load bushing system.

I could pick up the RCBS Suppreme for a little more money. I saw one at academy the other day on sale for $290 I believe.

Should I just go ahead and order the Classic or work on getting the RCBS? Either one is within my budget.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

If on a tight budget it's probably best not to be a big kit that will give you things you won't need or use.

I just got started loading my own and what I did was only buy the select parts I needed for loading the grendel then by the tools needed aka basic tools.

That way I didn't lose money on things I didn't need for loading for the grendel and had more money to upgrade a few tools to a lil higher grade compared to the bottom line cheapest parts and tools.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Gren nubi- are you a gal or guy? No reason for asking, well kinda. No offense to anyone, just wondering about a recommend - from me to the question .

Comment

• va_connoisseur
        Warrior
        • Oct 2016

I started with an RCBS single stage and bought all the other parts piece by piece. The kits were ok but aside from the press, most of the other parts are not worth it.

Comment

• Popeye212
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2018

Take a look at this one before you go RCBS and have had an RCBS my son has it now.

I bought this one and I REALLY like. Mucah better than my old RCBS.. It does not prime however. Got a Lee Bench Primer for that.
          Last edited by Popeye212; 07-10-2018, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• grendelnubi
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
            Gren nubi- are you a gal or guy? No reason for asking, well kinda. No offense to anyone, just wondering about a recommend - from me to the question .
            I'm a guy. Afraid to respond to this one.

Comment

• Randy99CL
              Warrior
              • Oct 2017

The kits are always a better deal than buying parts separately. Just add up the prices individually and see for yourself. The only time it's better to piece things out is when you can't get what you want in a kit; for example you may not like the powder measure or scale that comes with the press kit you want.
              And what is up with "buying parts you don't need"??? The only part I won't use in my RCBS kit is the case lube pad because I prefer spray lube.

I bought the Rock Chucker Supreme Kit last december because the press, measure, scale and primer tool are all excellent. Each of those items is known to be of good quality and will last forever.
              I looked at the Lee kits for a long time but didn't like the plastic scale and powder measure even though they work well and the reviews are good. But that whole kit is only about $120.

For me it often comes down to money. I think that Hornady kit is a good one and you'd probably be happy with it for a long time. I don't know of any problems with any of it and I bought a Hornady hand primer tool separately and like it as well as my RCBS.
              That free bullet rebate is worth $100 or so and is hard to ignore.

If you can I'd wait for a few months and see what goes on sale; for some reason the prices sometimes drop when hunting season approaches in the fall. Take the time to learn more about what you really need.
              I bought that RC Supreme kit for $250 (with free shipping) on sale and there was a $100 rebate, so I paid $150.

Edit: I think that the Johnny's Reloading Bench videos are worth the time. Watching the beginning of the series talks about the Lee set but is good info about all the hardware. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lDL9tUnfVQ&t=119s
              Last edited by Randy99CL; 07-10-2018, 01:35 AM.
              "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• BCHunter
                Warrior
                • Jan 2018

I bought the hornady lock and load about ten years ago and it has worked fine the whole time. The bushings are a huge time saver, 1/4 turn and pull vs screwing all way in and out. Especially if you intend to load multiple calibers in the future.
                The only thing I didn't like was the electronic scale would only measure to .2 grains even numbers wouldn't measure .1 odd numbers, this has been fixed several years ago on the scale but I've upgraded to a bigger one since.

You can't go wrong with either hornady or rcbs, other items you should get are calipers, and the coal gauge with the datum collects for brass and bullets.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

I've got the RCBS rock chucker supreme, it was a set I got back in the day (~10 yrs), but I use the hand priming tool not anything on the chucker b/c I want to feel the primers as they seat. It's a great reloading press, rock solid. For me it was an upgrade to an rcbs jr that I bought over 40 yrs ago.
                  Beginning reloading is more about learning and taking your time, developing standard and consistent and safe practices, all of which will serve well no matter which set you go with. I figure either rcbs or hornady would do well, but for my money the rcbs was the way to go.

There are other necessities you'll need like a trimmer setup (again rcbs, the manual trim-pro) and chamfers (get the vld for inner), good caliper for measuring (I like the digital ones, like Frankford, not expensive). Some plastic case loading trays to stand up your cartridges in (like MTM)... and 1-shot spray for the brass. I quit using the case lube/pad when I got some case neck breaks on 2x fired brass, 1-shot and my troubles went away.

O yeah. And a dedicated, solid reloading-bench setup where you can have this set up and not have to take it down/set it up, plus storage space for all the pieces/parts. Good lighting, too!
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• 41bear
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2017

The tools you get are just a small part of reloading. From Lee on up, imo, they are all gtg but your part in it is what is far more important - for your safety and well being as well as keeping the weapons you use all in one peace. Find or fix a quiet place with no distractions,no food, kids, better half, smokes or anything else which might cause you to wander from the task at hand. Be safe and know that the pleasure you derive from that 1/2 inch group or one shot kill will be far more satisfying than it ever was before.
                    "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• 1Shot
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2018

The only tools you really need to get started is a press, dies, scale, powder funnel, some way to prime cases (press mounted or hand tool), case trimmer, inside and outside case neck chamfer tool, and a dial calipers and I would suggest a primer pocket cleaning tool/brush of some sort even if it is a small screw driver to scrape out burnt residue. You can use the plastic 40/45 cal. ammo box inserts that everybody pitches in the trash at the range as loading blocks. I use Hornady 1 shot spray lube. I place my cases in one of the above mentioned ammo boxes skipping a space between cases and spray at a downward angle which gets some inside the neck as well as down the sides. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND LET IT DRY. For adding powder to your scale you can put some powder in a little bowl or a plastic bullet box and use some type of dipper, the Lees work great, or even small measuring spoons. You can learn how to just tap the side of your dipper/spoon with your finger to trickle the final bit of powder in the pan. It has been a while since I have looked at the package deals but the Lyman's used to contain the best combo of what is needed for the cost. Midway was where I last looked. The only thing I would stay away from is the Lee powder scale, in my experience it is junk. As for other Lee products they may not be the best but they get the job done. Over the past 40 years of my loading experience I personally have used a lot of Lee dies and have had no problems. You can get good or bad in anything and I have used most makers dies and have had a few problems. Take your time and double check every process is the best advice I can pass on to you. Have fun.
                      Last edited by 1Shot; 07-10-2018, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

You will need a case trimmer and caliper for measuring lengths and widths to .001".
                        The .264 bullets from the Hornady rebate are 129gr, a little heavy for the Grendel.

This has quick change bushings, a case trimmer and you only need dies (comes with shellholder) and a few other things.
                        Check out the user reviews on Lee products. You get the most bang for the buck.

They even have free shipping today and tomorrow and they have this frequently.

Edit: Or these.
                        Last edited by bj139; 07-10-2018, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• Crusty
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2017

For me, digital scales aren't trustworthy because I've seen more than one well regarded scale drift and report weights which were inaccurate. A good beam balance will nearly always produce a reliable weight. Powder measures can work well for spherical powders and produce erratic charges with stick powders so I trickle my charges with a Hornady Quick Trickler (now motorized) into an RCBS Scale Pan with Integrated Dump Funnel. My Frankfort Arsenal Ultimate Priming Tool is the best thing since sliced white bread and their hand deprimer isn't bad either. The Harbor Freight Rock Polisher with SST pins and Maguires Cleaner Wax plus Lemi Shine is a cheap way to get up to 75 wet tumbled cases per batch which look like they just came from the factory. The Hornady Manual Trimmer with an RCBS Trim Pro Three Way head is good for trimming and chamfering my brass, and the RCBS Neck Turning head also fits it if you get into precision reloads down the road. Hornady dies have worked well for me, the Hornady Micrometer Seating Stem is a real value for precise bullet seating, and the Redding Type S Bushing Sizing die works well if you decide to pursue precision ammo. K&M makes some good inexpensive precision accessories. An RCBS collet type bullet puller is an essential IMO. A Lee Factory Crimp die can reduce your SDs and ESs, and possibly tighten your groups. The Hornady Lock & Load Bushing system is a time saver for single stage press operations and I like their Universal Loading Trays because they have the smallest footprint. A good dial caliper with anvils for taking accurate base to ogive measurements is essential for me. Lanolin and alcohol is a good cheap sizing lube though a bit tough to remove after sizing. I like the Hornady Concentricity Tool and it works fine for me since I read and follow the instructions.
                          I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• grendelnubi
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2017

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this elementary request for reloading press feedback. bj139, I wish I had seen your post earlier today. That Lee set is a real value. I ended up ordering the Hornady lock and load classic. The free 500 projectiles was a real seller for me. I am looking at the 150 gr interlock 30 caliber for my 300 blackout. I hardly ever shoot it because ammo is so expensive. Plus if I end up getting the hornady dies, I could potentially get another 100 projectiles.

The remaining items I need to to order are the resizing dies, the Hornady micrometer seating stem, the Lee crimp die, and I am going to look into the suggested harbor freight rock tumbler. I have the dial calipers and Hornady bullet comparators. I don't have a trimmer but hopefully I will not need one for a little while.

I am also looking at a Grendel Neck Sizing Die. I don't see a need to do a full sizing every single time. I plan on sorting my brass and keeping the brass with the firearm together for the life cycle of the brass. Any feedback regarding neck sizing only after the initial firing will be helpful. My reloading mentor frowns at the idea of just sizing the neck and suggest a full sizing each time.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by grendelnubi View Post
                              Thanks to everyone who has replied to this elementary request for reloading press feedback. bj139, I wish I had seen your post earlier today. That Lee set is a real value. I ended up ordering the Hornady lock and load classic. The free 500 projectiles was a real seller for me. I am looking at the 150 gr interlock 30 caliber for my 300 blackout. I hardly ever shoot it because ammo is so expensive. Plus if I end up getting the hornady dies, I could potentially get another 100 projectiles.

The remaining items I need to to order are the resizing dies, the Hornady micrometer seating stem, the Lee crimp die, and I am going to look into the suggested harbor freight rock tumbler. I have the dial calipers and Hornady bullet comparators. I don't have a trimmer but hopefully I will not need one for a little while.

I am also looking at a Grendel Neck Sizing Die. I don't see a need to do a full sizing every single time. I plan on sorting my brass and keeping the brass with the firearm together for the life cycle of the brass. Any feedback regarding neck sizing only after the initial firing will be helpful. My reloading mentor frowns at the idea of just sizing the neck and suggest a full sizing each time.
                              I have read it's better to full length size brass in the ar platform.

Not sure if it's correct but that's what I read several places so that's what I'm doing, seems to work great or atleast I haven't messed up to bad yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X