• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1064rg
    Unwashed
    • May 2018

questions about making the grendel from 7.62x39

Hello, new member here. I recently bought a alex arms 18" upper.
    Several years ago I acquired 200 unfired IMI 7.62x39 cases. They stayed at the back of the closest until I bought a grendel.
    I'm using sierra 85gr hp, and 26.5gr of blc2- I have an almost free 8# keg, so I'm using it. Most of my fireform loads work good- sub moa@ 100 yds.
    My problem is this: some of the cases chamber, with help from the forward assist, but I only get a 'click' when I pull the trigger, sometimes there is a very light dimple in the primer, sometimes not. A few worked on the 2nd attempt. I assume that I pushed the shoulder back too far and the case is going in too far. Is there any way I can save and use these cases? Re-resize? or are they scrap?

Thanks
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 05-31-2018, 03:40 AM.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
      Warrior
      • Apr 2011

What He Said! ↑↑↑↑↑
      "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• 1064rg
        Unwashed
        • May 2018

Hornady dies. The brass I got in the 'take-it-all-pile' at an auction, that I bought for some other reloading related items. For coyote hunting, not all empties will be found, so I don't really need premium brass. I do have 100 hornady brass, and 25 AA lapua brass, but hate flinging them into the wind.

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by PrecisionFirearms View Post
          What He Said! ↑↑↑↑↑
          Second the motion.

Better, still - buy a can of American Gunner from Sportsman’s Warehouse. 200 rounds of accurate, loaded ammo for about the same cost as new brass.

I now have more brass than I can possibly wear out in 5 years, and leaving a few in the brush doesn’t panic me like it used to. Last time I shot the Grendel in the wild I lost 2 pieces of AA/Lapua brass. Drove me nuts, trying to find them. I ended up leaving them behind somewhere at the range in Utah, where I’m still convinced either bwaites or LRRPF52 picked them up. J/K, guys.
          Last edited by NugginFutz; 06-01-2018, 03:20 PM.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• A1Vixen
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2017

At the moment it isn't that easy to get Lapua brasses and if they ate really expensive.
            So I formed some S&B 7,62x39. I have good results with those brasses, but forming is really tricky. I used them in my AR15 and neck turned in my .290 chamber bolt action rifle.

Now I finally got 200 Lapua Grendel brasses for my bolt action, but because of the price difference I bought 300 new 7,62x39 Lapua brasses for the AR15. Because of the 52k psi limit in the AR15, I don't think this will be a huge disadvantage.
            In my bolt action I can go lot higher with the SR Primers.

I also formed some of my old 6PPC Lapua brasses (22 Russian). This is another option to get SR Primer brasses for the Grendel.

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by 1064rg View Post
              Several years ago I acquired 200 unfired IMI 7.62x39 cases. They stayed at the back of the closest until I bought a grendel.
              I'm using sierra 85gr hp, and 26.5gr of blc2- I have an almost free 8# keg, so I'm using it. Most of my fireform loads work good- sub moa@ 100 yds.
              My problem is this: some of the cases chamber, with help from the forward assist, but I only get a 'click' when I pull the trigger, sometimes there is a very light dimple in the primer, sometimes not. A few worked on the 2nd attempt. I assume that I pushed the shoulder back too far and the case is going in too far. Is there any way I can save and use these cases? Re-resize? or are they scrap?

Thanks
              1064:

Run a search on fireforming 7.62 X 39 brass. Your question comes up every four or six months.

Basically a waste of time for brass that takes a lot less powder than real Grendel brass.

You probably didn't bump the shoulders back far enough for those specific pieces of brass.

They are not going into battery far enough to function. A very dangerous thing because you are risking an out of battery firing which will as a minimum destroy your bolt, bolt carrier, and magazine. And probably injure you at the same time.

Forget the 7.62 X 39 brass and buy some Grendel brass.

LR55
              Last edited by LR1955; 05-31-2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• 1Shot
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

If you are worried about loosing cases in the wild get you a brass catcher. They don't cost much and work well.

Comment

• ported45
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2018

Originally posted by 1Shot View Post
                  If you are worried about loosing cases in the wild get you a brass catcher. They don't cost much and work well.
                  That's what I am going to do so that I don't have brass pinging off the inside of the tin shooting house!

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by 1064rg View Post

Thanks
                    What LR1955 said. You more than likely didn't bump the shoulders back far enough and you also need to make sure the primer is seated deep enough. Sometimes the primer needs to be seated hard to crush the anvil down enough. There is no way I'm going to spend all that money on a weapon and feed it cheap or inferior brass. Kind of like going on a $10,000 hunt and taking cheap ammo. You don't know if it's going to work or not and you spent all that money on a hunt of a lifetime. 7.62x39 brass is junk to me anyway.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

I'm at the point now with Hornady American Gunner that I could leave it all in the dirt and not really care too much, it's so affordable.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 1064rg
                        Unwashed
                        • May 2018

Thanks guys, into the scrap heap they go. I did buy a cheap brass catcher, it works as long as I make sure it is in the right spot.

Comment

Working...
                        X