• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CaptnC
    Warrior
    • May 2018

Grendel Preferred Powder?

Been scanning the load data here and seeing basically 5 different powders being used.

IMR 8208
    H335
    CFE223
    AR-Comp
    Benchmark

I got on the Hodgdon Web site and did a head to head with three of the powders listed above. Of them two listed compressed loads when you get near max. I've alway shot big cartridges that never get much past 95% full.

What is your preferred powder?

Because I dis-like compressed loads I went with H335...for the most part, a tiny bit more velocity, less pressure and no compressed loads...that spooks me!
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

I've had best results (accuracy and velocity) with CFE223 in both my Grendel barrels. Be careful with XBR if your going to follow Hammers loading guidelines. Pressure spikes fast and I haven't been able to get close to what others use. Benchmark is generally too fast, but may be worth a try with lighter bullets. I get amazing results with it in 223, 6x45 and with 110s in 308. I tried it with 95 gr VMax's and accuracy wasn't there for me, but I generally have bad luck with Hornady. I had off the charts velocity variation with AR-Comp across the board, but accuracy didn't measure up to what I can get with CFE and I have good variation at the charges I use.
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• AustinTom
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2018

I've had best luck with XBR 8208 and AR comp. CFE223 and Leverevolution didn't do too well for me accuracy wise. I'll be picking up a pound of H4895 to try in the next week or two.

Comment

• Crusty
        Warrior
        • Dec 2017

I've got an 8# jug of AR-Comp. I really like the temperature insensitivity and no worries about over pressure if I keep my loads reasonable. Max loads usually don't group as good as lesser loads anyway and my best loads are in the 94-95% load density region. I don't stop experimenting until I get SDs in the single digits.
        Last edited by Crusty; 05-14-2018, 10:53 PM.
        I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Preferred powder for the Grendel (not other cartridges) is 2520. Then TAC. Then 2460.

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Ask a dozen people...
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

I'm into all of the above you mention, except for the Benchmark (don't have). Mostly it depends on the bullet wt... 120-123 class I use the CFE and the AR comp. For my 110 Lehigh's it's XBR and CFE, depending on the rifle. For 100-95-90's it's typically H335, XBR or the occasional CFE. CFE, imo. likes it better once you get close to max, the others... I mostly look for a MV node and tweak from there.
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• earl39
                Unwashed
                • Sep 2014

I'm so simple i scare myself. I use 30.0gr BLC-2 for everything from the 110 Lehigh to 129 SST's. Not that it's perfect for each one but if it ain't broke......

Comment

• 1Shot
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2018

For 120/23 gr bullets I am having best results with IMR 8208 but I have only been working with the Grendel since the first of March. I have done some work with LVR with 130 Sierra Game Kings and it is showing promise. I am going to give H335 and CFE223 and maybe WW748 as well as IMR 8208 with some 100 Nosler BTs soon. As with any load data always start low and work up using a chronograph so you know what your velocity is. By the time you see "pressure signs" like with other calibers with the AR Grendel's you are already over pressure. Especially pay attention to what COAL your rifle will handle. Most of the chambers these days are supposed to be cut to SAAMI specks but you can read on this forum that the throats of many barrels vary greatly.

Comment

• CaptnC
                    Warrior
                    • May 2018

Thanks for all the info.

Like I said IMR 8208 load data shows compressed. You guys run a lot of compressed loads?

That spooks me in a bolt gun...it would really tough to feel comfortable doing it in a gas gun!

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

At least in a bolt gun you get other indicators.

I hear both sides of 8208. Not good for the heavier pills (over 123), then I get someone who suggests using it under my 130s.

I would follow LR1955's statement, and pick up a set of the reloading handbooks from AR15buildbox.com. Then you will see what the old clan leaders have been using for years.
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by CaptnC View Post
                        Thanks for all the info.

Like I said IMR 8208 load data shows compressed. You guys run a lot of compressed loads?

That spooks me in a bolt gun...it would really tough to feel comfortable doing it in a gas gun!
                        CC:

You are correct. Don't go that route. I probably wouldn't start testing those bullets with 8208 because it is pretty fast for the length of those particular bullets. Would start with a slower powder just to see what happens first. When a bullet company says to keep increasing the load until you see pressure signs, it tells me they haven't pressure tested their bullets. Not a good sign but not anything that can't be overcome safely.

LR55

Comment

• Caser
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2018

Compressed loads are not a problem. In fact, a lightly to moderately compressed load reduced any need for a crimp.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Caser View Post
                            In fact, a lightly to moderately compressed load reduced any need for a crimp.
                            Hmm.

Care to explain this statement? Doesn’t add up in my mind.
                            Last edited by rabiddawg; 05-15-2018, 07:48 PM.
                            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• AustinTom
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2018

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
                              Hmm.

Care to explain this statement? Doesn’t add up in my mind.
                              I'm guessing he referring to keeping the bullet from pushing into the case, which can be an issue with gas guns.

Comment

Working...
                              X