Clear All
  • Fredman
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Lapua 120 L

• Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

120s out of a 20" should be running in the 2500s.

Factory Hornady 123 avg 2470s. out of an 18"
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I’ve never loaded Vit N-140, I think it will prove to be like Varget, a little to slow burn rate. You can’t get enough powder in the 6.5 Grendel case to get as good of velocity as other powders. Your loads might prove accurate which is fine out to 500 maybe 600 yards but higher velocity is desireable to me to shoot to longer distances.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

For Vihtavuori powders, N530 is the most optimum one for 6.5 Grendel, with published loads across most bullet weights.

If you're careful and understand where your throat is, 8208XBR is a great powder under the 120gr Scenar-L.

You can also try AR-Comp.

It's a great target bullet with very tight tolerances in the manufacturing process.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

I have been running these in my 18"er having bought a case when Graf's had them on sale last summer. I'm pushing them at 2520 using 30.6 gr of CFE223/GM205MAR/Hornady case trued up to 2550 using the Litz G7 of .246. The barrel has never let me near 2500 no matter what the 120/123 bullet with XBR. I do a Chargemaster drop only and get about MOA and an SD around 12 and shoot them in volume. Probably not in most budgets at normal prices, but if I recall a case of 1k was around $270 shipped. Trickling onto a balance beam would definitely tighten up groups and get single digit SDs.

I am actually using this load in a Carbine Marksman course this weekend running and gunning out to 700 since I cant get my new 223 barrel to shoot anything heavier than 55s. Should be interesting to see how my shoulder feels after 600 rounds in 2 days.
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Fredman
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
            120s out of a 20" should be running in the 2500s.

Thanks, I looked on the PF site and they sell a 120 L load at 2550 fps so I would think I could slowly approach 2450 or slightly higher safely.

Factory Hornady 123 avg 2470s. out of an 18"
            Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
            I’ve never loaded Vit N-140, I think it will prove to be like Varget, a little to slow burn rate. You can’t get enough powder in the 6.5 Grendel case to get as good of velocity as other powders. Your loads might prove accurate which is fine out to 500 maybe 600 yards but higher velocity is desireable to me to shoot to longer distances.
            You may be right, but looking in the cases with 27.3 grains, there is a little room.

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            For Vihtavuori powders, N530 is the most optimum one for 6.5 Grendel, with published loads across most bullet weights.

With my first Grendel (#3&4 now), B.A. had recommended loads with N 140, and I had great luck with it. It’s a magic load for my PSS 308. I have 14ish pounds of it, thought I’d try it. I will need to load from my chargemaster as it is occasionally plugging in my Dillon powder funnel.

If you're careful and understand where your throat is, 8208XBR is a great powder under the 120gr Scenar-L.

I do like 8208 and have a bunch, so I’ll try that next. Not looking for super hot load, 2450-2475. Hoping for great accuracy.

You can also try AR-Comp.

It's a great target bullet with very tight tolerances in the manufacturing process.
            Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
            I have been running these in my 18"er having bought a case when Graf's had them on sale last summer. I'm pushing them at 2520 using 30.6 gr of CFE223/GM205MAR/Hornady case trued up to 2550 using the Litz G7 of .246. The barrel has never let me near 2500 no matter what the 120/123 bullet with XBR. I do a Chargemaster drop only and get about MOA and an SD around 12 and shoot them in volume. Probably not in most budgets at normal prices, but if I recall a case of 1k was around $270 shipped. Trickling onto a balance beam would definitely tighten up groups and get single digit SDs.

I am actually using this load in a Carbine Marksman course this weekend running and gunning out to 700 since I cant get my new 223 barrel to shoot anything heavier than 55s. Should be interesting to see how my shoulder feels after 600 rounds in 2 days.
            Thanks all for the input. Highly valued. I’ll keep updating.

Terry

Comment

• Fredman
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Vascar2 was right, I couldn’t get close to 2500 FPS with N-140. Switched to 8208. 27.0 grains was around 2450 went as high as 27.6 grains brass looked fine, but backed off to 27.4. Extreme spread sucked. 5 shots-46FPS. 2456 to 2505.

Comment

Working...
              X