• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mopardoctor
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

100 G TTSX, CFE223 or LVR

My Grendel just reproduced and gave me another Grendel with a 24" barrel. What would be better with the 24" tube and Barnes 100G TTSX, CFE223 or LVR? I heard that CFE burns cleaner and LVR can soot up your upper. I have 4 lbs of LVR horded so I would like to use it up. Is 30g a good starting point for the powder charge?

Mopar Doctor
  • Jakal
    Warrior
    • May 2014

In my 16" AA, I am running 33.9 grains of CFE with this bullet. 2725 fps.

Showing load range from 32-34 of CFE.

Start low and work up. The above load is Safe in my rifle. It may not be safe in yours.
    ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• mdewitt71
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

I think CFE223 and LVR are so close, it is hard to tell as far as performance.
      I have heard from several people they believe them to be the same except for the Copper Eraser in the CFE, I am not sure about that but, they shoot the same for me in a lot of loads.
      Watch for temp stability for sure with the CFE223.... maybe not so much in .223 or Grendel but, in .308 I have shot the same load at 20 degrees and at 96 degrees a week later and had a significant recoil and velocity change; I quit using it .308 loads.
      ― George Orwell

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

LRRP52 swears by CFE and being in Utah, he sees the large temp swings through the year, and has yet to comment on temp issues with it.

I shoot in 30s to 90s+. I am nervous, I try to get a chart going, but it seems every time I run CFE in something, the temp is within 10* of the last time I used it.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• mdewitt71
          Warrior
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
          LRRP52 swears by CFE and being in Utah, he sees the large temp swings through the year, and has yet to comment on temp issues with it.

I shoot in 30s to 90s+. I am nervous, I try to get a chart going, but it seems every time I run CFE in something, the temp is within 10* of the last time I used it.
          As mentioned before my CFE 223 experience was with .308 only.
          I loaded some 150gr and 165gr loads and shot/ chronied about 20 rounds in at 20 degrees and then shot the same load 96 degrees.
          All were at last 1.5gr under listed MAX.
          I could feel the recoil difference and def seen the velocity difference enuf to not want to load CFE anymore for .308 loads.

I will play around with CFE223 in Grendel after I run these Shooters World and X-Terminator loads I have done up.
          ― George Orwell

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Sticks View Post

I haven't tested CFE223 under 100gr TTSX across the temperature extremes in my area, but I feel confident in it enough under 123gr AMAX to use my 31.2gr load as a go-to, and have had 1000yd results from 17.6" Lilja that exceeded my expectations, especially since that includes rapid-fired sub-MOA 6rd groups, and ragged hole 10rd groups at 100yds.

I think the solids build pressure more consistently since there is more start pressure and less variation with the consistency of the projectile mass, so I'm not sure I would worry too much about CFE223 under a 100gr TTSX. You can also use a temp stab factor in your ballistics program that will generate pretty accurate mvs based on temp.

For hunting distances common with this cartridge, it isn't going to make a practical difference on-target though with that bullet, and really comes into play of those of us banging steel at distance with target bullets.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BCHunter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2018

My best groups have been with max charge 29.5 grains of R15. I loaded some more of these up to test as well as a ladder with cfe, from 32 to 33.6 grains i stopped due to compressed load. Hopefully I'll get to the range this weekend to compare. But calling for snow so well see?

Comment

Working...
              X