X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drykilned
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2018

Well, folks, i am about to admit defeat and remove this barrel/bcg and try something else. Vascar, i tried the ejector mod and that did not work either. This thing is driving me crazy! It shoots great with other than 123 sst, though i cannot get any velocity with the 140 speer hot cor, it shoots moa. I am just tired of either spending all my time clearing failure to feed from the magazine or shooting single shot. Three magazines and same problems with all three. You are great bunch of guys, i am just too old to let this one beat me up. Cannot understand what is going on. 5.56 works great, put my grandsons 300 blackout upper on my lower and it shot great. I will keep returning to this site to see if something else comes up to fix it.

Comment

• drykilned
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2018

Well, folks, i now have another mystery to me on my saga with the grendel. On the off chance that maybe the mod i did on vascars advice may have worked on other bullets, i tried to manually run some 123sst through the mag and the rifle. They loaded flawlessly. So i guess i will head back to my range one more time and see if they will load and actually shoot! Now the 140 gr speer is loaded in the same brand casing, same magazine and loaded to recommended oal and i see no signs they are hitting the lands on loading. They work fine if dropped into the chamber by hand and fall out when muzzle is raised with no help needed. Suggestions? M4 ramps cause this?

Comment

• Wabbit87
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2018

All my starline are measuring about the same 1.506 + or - and I don't see any issue
        6.5 Grendel https://imgur.com/gallery/NQ2DR

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Your kind of venturing into uncharted territory with the 140 grain bullets drykilned as very few forum members have posted many results with 140 grain bullets. With a new rifle it makes things difficult to diagnose the problems when you have an unverified gun, mags and ammo. With a new 6.5 Grendel it makes things simpler to see if the rifle functions with factory ammunition. Generally a new 6.5 Grendel will feed and fire with two or three cartridges out of a 5.56/223 mag. With factory ammo generally you can assume the ammo is not the problem. Biggest issue right now is factory ammo is in short supply.

Trying to function test a rifle off the range by loading and unloading with dummy or factory ammo is not always indicative how a rifle will actually function when shooting.

You throw in the varability of the gas system, (carbine, midlength, rifle, ect), gas blocks, buffers, springs, extractor and ejector it is difficult to diagnose what is wrong with the rifle, ammo and mags when you don’t have it in person.

Unfortunately the 6.5 Grendel is still kind of rare so the likelihood of a friend having a proven gun, mag and ammo is kind of uncommon.

I still don’t remember you posting your specific barrel, BCG, FCG, buffer info on this build. If you want to PM me with the specs of your build I can try and message with you to try and help. If I were closer we’d take it to the range and get it running as I have plenty of reliable mags and ammo.

Comment

• cowboy2
            Unwashed
            • Apr 2018

My Starline brass all arrived right at or just below 1.51". After 3 firings, 3 cases have grown to 1.515", the rest have either stayed the same or actually shrunk a little, and these are using warm loads. I've never had bottle neck rifle cases shrink, until I saw this thread, I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

Double check my thinking here- if the brass isn't growing, then brass isn't flowing up from the web, so case head separation shouldn't be that much of a concern (as opposed to most AR/Semi brass which usually tossed after 5 firings). Correct?

Comment

Working...
            X