Clear All
  • Trueblue
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2018

129gr ABLR/130gr Berger

• VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Here is a link to a thread discussing Nosler 129 grain ABLR.

I bought my Grendel, all giddy with the prospect of having a viable 300-400 yard deer gun out of an AR platform. Heck, that stretches my 25-06 by a solid 100 yards! The true "magic bullet" now in my arsenal of freedom! I'd looked at factory offerings and available bullets and settled on the Hornady 123 gr SST as being

There are several other threads discussing this bullet which has a very low velocity threshold for expansion, around 1300 FPS IIRC.

There is a google custom search for the 6.5 Grendel forum. I entered 129 grain ABLR and got numerous threads on this bullet.

There has also been discussion on the 130 grain Berger bullets and if I remember correctly there is a hunting version and a target version with the Berger 130 grain VLD bullets. I think DNS tested these bullets on hogs.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 04-04-2018, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• Trueblue
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2018

I am sitting on a bunch of 130 Bergers for my 6.5 SAUM. Thought I would like to try them, but they seem very long. Did a search, but did not find much information.
      So, I thought maybe the 129’s. I will keep looking, thanks

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

I have loaded and shot both in the Grendels, one boltaction and one AR. Settled on 30.6gr of CFE223 with Lapua brass. That same charge has worked well for me with both bullets listed. It is not the most accurate load in either gun but is a good compromise load that works well under MOA in both rifles.

Usual disclaimer that load is safe in my guns but yours may be different approach with caution.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

There is a factory load of this projectile. Federal Gold Medal Match has the 130 Berger target loaded at the factory. From all reports I’ve read, it is a great load.
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• BD264
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2017

I'm using CFE223 also with the 130 Berger vld hunting bullet. Mine are loaded long for a Howa mini 1500, so I won't post my info.

Comment

• GMZ
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2018

Had surprisingly good accuracy with 129 ABLR and 30-31 gr CFE seated at 2.265, 3 rounds touching within 3/4 MOA then my flyers open it up.

After charging the cases I set them on my electric hair trimmer to settle the powder and I did not notice any audible signs of compressing the load until over 31 gr.

30 gr and 31 gr had the best groups 30.5 not as good. I dont mind running these hot since they will be for hunting.

Comment

• 1Shot
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

Berger makes an AR Hybrid 130 gr bullet that is more Grendel friendly I have read of some shooting it. I have some 130 Sierra Game King HPBTs loaded up with a ladder charge of LVR to shoot if the weather will ever cooperate when I have time off. I am looking to use them for deer hunting inside 200 yards. So far their going to have to shoot really well to push the 120 Sierra Pro Hunter doing 2553 fps from 18" barrel and 2575 from 20" barrel out of the running.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Originally posted by GMZ View Post
                  Had surprisingly good accuracy with 129 ABLR and 30-31 gr CFE seated at 2.265, 3 rounds touching within 3/4 MOA then my flyers open it up.

After charging the cases I set them on my electric hair trimmer to settle the powder and I did not notice any audible signs of compressing the load until over 31 gr.

30 gr and 31 gr had the best groups 30.5 not as good. I dont mind running these hot since they will be for hunting.
                  GMZ, You might want to look deeper into your 30-31 range, using 0.2 gr increments. I found some cfe loads for one of my AR's in the 30.5, 30.6, and 30.8 loads (each a different 129 class bullet), all running about 2415-2440 in that 18"-er. I pick 0.2's when narrowing down good loads b/c it's under 1% of case vol/wt... some use 0.3's. CFE meters well so you can do this pretty easily.
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• GMZ
                    Bloodstained
                    • Apr 2018

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                    GMZ, You might want to look deeper into your 30-31 range, using 0.2 gr increments. I found some cfe loads for one of my AR's in the 30.5, 30.6, and 30.8 loads (each a different 129 class bullet), all running about 2415-2440 in that 18"-er. I pick 0.2's when narrowing down good loads b/c it's under 1% of case vol/wt... some use 0.3's. CFE meters well so you can do this pretty easily.
                    Thanks for the tip, next time I will probably try 30.6 and 30.8 with another set at 31 to confirm.

Would like if I could get the same accuracy at a lower charge.

It shot well enough at 2.265 COAL that I don't even want to mess with seating depth.

Comment

• GMZ
                      Bloodstained
                      • Apr 2018

31 gr CFE 223 is the ticket for the 129 ABLR in my gun.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                        Warrior
                        • May 2017

Mine seems to like it also, at least the Satern 18" barreled rifle. The 16" AA melonited bbl, not so much, still working with that one, but not much time lately to do much with shooting.

Comment

• GMZ
                          Bloodstained
                          • Apr 2018

Here is my velocity data for the 129 ABLR, very happy with the velocities and accuracy I'm getting.

Will load up my last 50 bullets with 3x fired HDY brass and keep those for hunting after a full case prep.

Powder charge was vibratory settled by placing charged case on an electric hair trimmer. No audible indications of charge compression noted.

Barrel: 16" BA Hanson w/Sandman-S
                          Elevation: S/L

26 Apr 2018 Temp: 80*
                          Case: HDY 1x fired
                          Primer: CCI 450
                          Powder: CFE 223 31 gr (Nosler MAX chg)
                          Bullet: 129 ABLR
                          COAL: 2.265

1. 2433
                          2. 2440
                          3. 2423
                          4. 2447
                          5. 2447

AVG: 2438
                          SD: 10.1
                          Pressure signs: ejector swipe

3 May 2018 Temp: 75*
                          Case: HDY 2x fired
                          Primer: CCI 450
                          Powder: CFE 223 31 gr (Nosler MAX chg)
                          Bullet: 129 ABLR
                          COAL: 2.265

1. 2427
                          2. 2420
                          3. 2439
                          4. 2428
                          5. 2443

AVG: 2431
                          SD: 9.3
                          Pressure signs: ejector swipe

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                            Warrior
                            • May 2017

I am getting right at the same velocity's from the Satern bbl. with that load, but no swipes, as a matter of fact, no pressure signs at all. I believe this is because the Satern bbl. seems to have a longer chamber than my AA bbl. (it does).

There sure do seem to be a lot of chamber variations out there for this cartridge, short, long, Sammi, G2, LBC, or just about anything else that anyone with any kind of reamer, sharp or dull, worn or new, decides to shove into the ass end of a barrel and call it good. Just gotta do careful work ups (which should ALWAYS be done) and keep cases segregated. That's what I am doing anyway.

Comment

Working...
                            X