• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zeus
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2018

Starline 6.5 G brass

I see there are quite a few threads about Starline introducing 6.5 Grendel brass....I've got some on the way and am interested in its performance. The uniformity information in a previous post is very encouraging. Starline has been very good to me in handgun cartridges so I expect nothing less than top quality from the rifle offerings too.

Has anyone actually loaded and shot any yet?
  • cwlongshot
    Warrior
    • Mar 2018

I just picked up a couple hundred from Sages Reloading!

Thanks for the heads up!

CW

Comment

• mdewitt71
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

i have it loaded just have not shot it yet.......
      There is no doubt in my mind, it will be fine brass just like all the other Starline brass I use.
      ― George Orwell

Comment

• Zeus
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2018

I ordered some Federal ammo to shoot so I would have some brass to start out with.....then I got a little nervous and figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to jump on some factory new brass while it's still available. I'm a Lapua/Norma brass kinda guy but saving a few bucks on cases wouldn't hurt. The varmints won't know the difference!

Comment

• Sticks
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2016

If you do a little reading up on here, the Federal brass does not hold up well.

Best off going with Hornady, Lapua, or the new Starline Brass.
          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• thbogeymann
            Unwashed
            • Mar 2015

"Has anyone actually loaded and shot any yet? "

Yes, I'm very pleased with the results so far.

Looks like Starline is going to be my "go to" for new Grendel Brass.
            Performance has been very favorable compared to Lapua and PPU.

Lapua has been a little disappointing for Quality Control purposes. (apparent minor flash hole irregularities)

I am convinced that resizing and complete inspection should always be done on each piece of new brass.

This powder was talked about in a previous post, I started a new thread specifically for this powder to see if other people were having as good of luck with it as I am. 20" Les Baer barrel. 123 gr Amax 31.4 gr charge CCI 450 primer 2600 fps 15 fps deviation 1 hole groups. I am getting better velocity than

Your mileage may vary.

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

Has anyone compared Starline case capacity to Lapua, Hornady or Federal (mostly, for the fits 2...)? Maybe I missed it.
              The "Alex-A" brass is almost the same as Hornady...
              What about Starline.
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Zeus
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                If you do a little reading up on here, the Federal brass does not hold up well.

Previous experience has taught me the same thing.....That's why I ordered my new cases from Starline......The only reason I went with the Federal ammo is because I wanted to try out the TNT's and the price was very reasonable for loaded ammo.
                Last edited by Zeus; 03-14-2018, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• Jakal
                  Warrior
                  • May 2014

I have used Starline for .458 Socom, 9mm, 44mag .380. Never had any problems and you can reload multiple times, same as Lapua. I haven't tried any for the Grendel yet but will once I get thru all my Hornady. Got about 6-7 reloads on those now and primer pockets are starting to loosen.
                  ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• Sticks
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                    Has anyone compared Starline case capacity to Lapua, Hornady or Federal (mostly, for the fits 2...)? Maybe I missed it.
                    The "Alex-A" brass is almost the same as Hornady...
                    What about Starline.
                    One of the "Starline #x" threads had a detailed weight and measurement. Lighter via thinner case head, more capacity.
                    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                      One of the "Starline #x" threads had a detailed weight and measurement. Lighter via thinner case head, more capacity.
                      Here is some info I put in a thread myself.....
                      I was one of the first if not the first to have the new brass (blessings of living down the road from Starline and Sierra :cool:) and although I was TDY and didnt get to play much with them, I did get asked about some measurements on them. I am home now and got to throw em in the calipers and on scale so here we go. I took
                      ― George Orwell

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

O, right, I forgot that one...
                        when I was checking Alex-A brass I used water volume weights to show capacity.
                        So this all points to the capacity being slightly larger than Hornady.
                        Will be interesting to see what effect this has on load data...

Being somewhat inspired by jason and xlcc (Another Howa 20" HB thread) and their work in the 20” HB world, and not completely satisfied yet with the 123 gr loads I’ve been playing with, I took a crack at some similar tests with my HB and 8208 xbr, and Ar-Comp. I do have one load that seems pretty good, using CFE223, 31.4

"Brass used was the new “Hornady bulk” labeled Alex-A. I ran some comparison samples of new Hornady brass and this bulk Alex-A (what should I call it? Maybe AA/H since it is not the AA/Lapua brass??) and while the AA/H was on average 1.4 grs heavier, the volume difference was 0.2 gr H2O, which is probably within the uncertainties of the miniscus’es)… "
                        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Zeus
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2018

The brass came in yesterday.....252 pieces. I ran them all through the expander ball just to round out the necks.....not that they were bad....just a few with some minor flattening. I didn't measure any for weight or neck thickness but they all felt the same running through the die.

The plan is to use 150 or so for a straight up 6.5 Grendel and to set a few aside in case a 6mm Grendel (Predator?) comes into the picture. McGowen is making barrels for the 6mm variant and it is certainly intriguing! I was never much of an Ar15 guy due to caliber constraints but these new offerings are opening up a whole new arena.

Comment

Working...
                          X