• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

Nosler 120gr long range??

Has anyone tried the Nosler Accubond 120gr. long range? Thinking about a good hog bullet for lower velocity at range.
    Thanks
  • outbreaker
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
    Has anyone tried the Nosler Accubond 120gr. long range? Thinking about a good hog bullet for lower velocity at range.
    Thanks
    What ranges are you thinking? I use the NBT for pigs all the time with spectacular results, and it only needs about 1800 fps to open well. At grendel velocities you really do not need bonded bullets IMHO.

Comment

• Popeye212
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2018

Out to 400 or so I was thinking about the ballistic tips in my .270 wasn't sure they would work as well at lower velocities. Big difference 3000 fps and 2500 out of the gate.

Comment

• outbreaker
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
        Out to 400 or so I was thinking about the ballistic tips in my .270 wasn't sure they would work as well at lower velocities. Big difference 3000 fps and 2500 out of the gate.
        Ballistic tips open at lower velocities than the LRAB and blow up at higher vel. Since the grendel does not ever go fast, they work alot like the LRAB does in the magnums.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Is that a new bullet, or did you mean the 129 gr Nosler AB LR...
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by outbreaker View Post
            Ballistic tips open at lower velocities than the LRAB and blow up at higher vel. Since the grendel does not ever go fast, they work alot like the LRAB does in the magnums.

Might want to study up a little on that. Ballistic tips were designed as a long range hunting bullet over 25 years ago and open up down to about 1800fps. Accubond Long Range bullets open down to 1300fps yet the shank portion of the bullet is bonded and holds up well to higher velocities, or at least does in my experience. The LRAB I know has worked pretty well in a 264WinMag and in reduced loads down to 2000fps for kids reduced loads.

Comment

• outbreaker
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

Originally posted by kmon View Post
              Might want to study up a little on that. Ballistic tips were designed as a long range hunting bullet over 25 years ago and open up down to about 1800fps. Accubond Long Range bullets open down to 1300fps yet the shank portion of the bullet is bonded and holds up well to higher velocities, or at least does in my experience. The LRAB I know has worked pretty well in a 264WinMag and in reduced loads down to 2000fps for kids reduced loads.
              Color me very sceptical. Bonded bullets are designed for slow controlled expansion and every single one I have ever dealt with needed high velocities or solid bone impacts to open. It is almost impossible for a bullet to be fragile enough to open at 1300 fps yet rugge enough to perform at 3000 fps. I would need to see gel testing from someone I trusted......

I have also been told that Barnes TTSX will work wonderful at Grendel Velocities. I have yet to get one to expand at 100yds without hitting bone (4 animals).

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

Color me very sceptical. Bonded bullets are designed for slow controlled expansion and every single one I have ever dealt with needed high velocities or solid bone impacts to open. It is almost impossible for a bullet to be fragile enough to open at 1300 fps yet rugge enough to perform at 3000 fps. I would need to see gel testing from someone I trusted......

I have also been told that Barnes TTSX will work wonderful at Grendel Velocities. I have yet to get one to expand at 100yds without hitting bone (4 animals).
                Ergo the beauty of the Grendel handbooks. Gel tests and pictures with opening data, MV's % retained, etc for several bullets, the ttsx among them. Vol 2 shows ttsx behavior in gel tests and pictures of recovered bullets (these were 100 gr ttsx), below 2000 ft/sec they didn't open up very much at all. 1847 ft/s was the lowest gel test velocity recorded and picture shown.

Other bullets are also tracked, logged, pictured and data shown. Nosler BT's, Partitions, Hornady sst, etc etc.
                Lots of informative stuff.

Comment

• Popeye212
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2018

Comment

• outbreaker
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

I have heard bullet mfgs claims before. And I am real sceptical on the claims.

Comment

• outbreaker
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                      Ergo the beauty of the Grendel handbooks. Gel tests and pictures with opening data, MV's % retained, etc for several bullets, the ttsx among them. Vol 2 shows ttsx behavior in gel tests and pictures of recovered bullets (these were 100 gr ttsx), below 2000 ft/sec they didn't open up very much at all. 1847 ft/s was the lowest gel test velocity recorded and picture shown.

Other bullets are also tracked, logged, pictured and data shown. Nosler BT's, Partitions, Hornady sst, etc etc.
                      Lots of informative stuff.
                      I have the books and the TTSX gel mirrors what I saw. They do not work worth squat unless bone is hit. Hit a doe in the lungs (between the ribs in and hit the bone out) and she ran 60 yds and bedded up where I could see her but not get another shot. It took her 2 hours to lay her head down and die. Last animal I shot with the TTSX. I have a box for anyone that wants them.

Comment

• kmon
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2015

Co back in Double Naught Spy posts an he tested some Nosler 129gr Long Range accubonds on hogs with his Grendel. Permanint wound cavities were good on hogs and most exited, I have a few hundred of the bullets that are blemish bullets from Shooterssupply and were pretty good priced. Good thing in my rifle they shoot well with the dame load I use with the 130gr Berger Hybrid.

Comment

• Popeye212
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                          Co back in Double Naught Spy posts an he tested some Nosler 129gr Long Range accubonds on hogs with his Grendel. Permanint wound cavities were good on hogs and most exited, I have a few hundred of the bullets that are blemish bullets from Shooterssupply and were pretty good priced. Good thing in my rifle they shoot well with the dame load I use with the 130gr Berger Hybrid.
                          That's where I found em I have had good loads with Nosler you guys talked me into it. I did find DNS's post looks good to go. Think I will grab a box of the 100 BT's also.

Comment

• grayfox
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2017

I have the books and the TTSX gel mirrors what I saw. They do not work worth squat unless bone is hit. Hit a doe in the lungs (between the ribs in and hit the bone out) and she ran 60 yds and bedded up where I could see her but not get another shot. It took her 2 hours to lay her head down and die. Last animal I shot with the TTSX. I have a box for anyone that wants them.
                            Fair disclosure I don't have a dog in the ttsx fight, I personally have chosen not to use them. I find good bullets elsewhere so haven't bothered with them. With experience like that I don't blame you. I think that 2000 minimum listed opening velocity to be too much of a gamble for my taste.

Comment

Working...
                            X