Clear All
  • outbreaker
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

Benchmark and 120 SMK initial findings

• StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

How long is your barrel? I really like Benchmark and find it is the easiest non-ball powder to weigh and trickle with relatively good temp stability. Plus it's easy to find. When it works for me, it works really well. I couldn't get it to work with 123s, but I think I tried it with Amax's and SMKs and I couldn't get those to group with any powder. I was surprised it didn't group well with 95 grain Vmax's, but Hornady bullets don't like me.
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• outbreaker
      Warrior
      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
      How long is your barrel? I really like Benchmark and find it is the easiest non-ball powder to weigh and trickle with relatively good temp stability. Plus it's easy to find. When it works for me, it works really well. I couldn't get it to work with 123s, but I think I tried it with Amax's and SMKs and I couldn't get those to group with any powder. I was surprised it didn't group well with 95 grain Vmax's, but Hornady bullets don't like me.
      I am shooting an 18" cut rifled Satern.

Comment

• Drillboss
        Warrior
        • Jan 2015

Take it for what it's worth, because I still consider myself a reloading novice.

I've seen very good accuracy with 123 gr SST's over Benchmark, although with fairly modest velocities. Benchmark is one I had in the cabinet when I started loading the Grendel and powder was hard to come by in those days.

Some say that Benchmark is too fast to be optimum for 120-123 gr bullets.

Comment

Working...
        X