• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdelong
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

123gr Amax vs. SST (Factory loads)

Can't find a-max anymore and moving to SST. Anyone done any scientific comparisons of how these compare? I am looking for rough "they are close at x distance" or "you will have to completely re-zero" type advice if anyone has it so I can plan my Saturday morning appropriately.

Thanks!
  • dammitman
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

i found in my only 3 grendels that they were very close on POI. i actually like the SST better but i cannot say why. i think that you wont see a difference. try a box of the black, it seemed really close as well. for me really close means just that, really close enough to feel good about shooting an animal out to probably 3-400 yards.

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

The "Black" or "ELD" is effectively the same bullet as the A-Max, just a different polymer on the tip for ballistics. The ELD replaced the A-Max when Hornady realized that the higher velocities the bigger rifles were getting was melting the tips (theory) and screwing the BC at long range.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• BR549R
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2017

My 18''(BCA)barrel will shoot all Hornady 123gr ammo into a box measuring 4''X 4'' at 100 yds.

ELD or Black 123gr = average 2517fps
        SST 123gr = average 2578fps
        A MAX 123gr = average 2582fps

Same for Federal Fusion 120gr = 2554fps

You may be on paper, but I would re-sight in with new load.
        You never know. Your barrel may not shoot that new load very well.

Best of luck !
        BR549R

Comment

• FW Conch
          Warrior
          • Nov 2014

The same factory load from a different lot number can change POI. I always check zero before taking aim on a game animal.

Comment

• jdelong
            Warrior
            • Feb 2017

Thanks all. Sounds like for most it is close and effort should be minimal to move from A-max to SST. Thanks!

Comment

• Goochylogic
              Warrior
              • Sep 2016

My rifle with the 20” odin barrel does 4”+ groups with the sst @ 100. But does almost same hole or close with the black ammo. Think you have to see what your gun likes.

Comment

Working...
              X