• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickt300
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Wolf steel and the 129 grain Hornady SP

I am running low on ARComp so I have to break in to the canister of CFE223 to fuel my modified Wolf Steel ammo. Actually I have collected half a pound of what powder comes in the Wolf steel cases so it may be time to work up a load with it but for now CFE223 is on the front line. I worked up to 30.0 grains of CFE223 under the 129 gr. Hornady a half grain at a time from 27.0 grains. Poor accuracy until I hit 30.0 grains then under 1 1/4 inch five shot groups. It was really windy today so I only fired two groups waiting for the wind to ease up for the shot. one group took 40 minutes! Primer looks just like the factory load but the extractor on my new upper is a real grabber and I need to slick it up a bit. This upper has a 15 inch Mlock handguard which seems to add some extra weight.
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Be careful with that Wolf Powder. IIRC their charge weight under that 100gr undersized pill was 29.5gr. My Moscow Match loads are 28.6gr of Wolf Powder under a 123 ELD pill, COAL at 2.240, Hard saying what I am getting for pressure, since my AR flattens factory load primers. That is probably at or over max. That was also with a sized neck (their neck tension is inconsistent with simply pulling, chamfering and pushing a new pill).

My Howa loves that load, shoots around .6 MOA on average.

I would start down around 25 grains and work up from there with Wolf Powder. More case capacity in the Wolf case.

If you have not seen the two threads,

****EDITED WITH RESULTS BELOW***** Given the random nature of Wolf steel case ammo (bullet weight, charge weight), coupled with an over abundance of steel case ammo on hand, would it be worth it to pull down the ammo, cull out the bullets by weight, and tune up the cartridge? Match powder charge using the same powder that was

In our last story...http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?14790-If-one-was-bored-and-had-the-motivation-Moscow-Match A fellow member here (Kswhitetails) contributed some bullets to the testing on his own dime. All Hail Kswhitetails HAIL! HAIL! HAIL! ETA - Thank you HuntTxhogs for your testing and posting
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• rickt300
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

All I have been doing is pulling the bullet, dumping the powder into a container, chamfering the case mouth, charging the case and seating a bullet. Getting certainly good enough for hunting accuracy and the CFE load will work till I get another can of ARComp. This particular barrel is being a bit harder and pickier about loads than the one that came on my BCA upper but it was still easy to find a plenty good enough load for my purposes.

Comment

• rickt300
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

I think I will do a work up with the Wolf powder when this pound of CFE is empty. Probably be out of the 129 gr. Hornady bullets by then too and want to find a blem sale on 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Comment

Working...
        X