• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Azgeek
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2015

CFE223 vs TAC

Did some velocity testing with these two powders in .556 over the weekend. TAC produced faster velocity for all powder charges in the ladder testing. At the highest charge, TAC was 50 fps faster than CFE. Can I expect the same to carry over to the Grendel? Currently use a CFE max charge of 32.0 for the 123 Amax & SST's.
  • 1911man
    Warrior
    • May 2015

No you cannot, not in my experience anyway. TAC has run 100 fps slower than CFE at the max charge ranges of each in my experience. I did find great accuracy with TAC though.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Nope. Not in 6.5 Grendel. CFE223 smokes TAC in this cartridge.

I used to use TAC before CFE223 was well-known. I haven't loaded TAC in many years now.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Azgeek
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2015

Thanks gents. Then I'll stick with IMR 8208 for lighter projo's and CFE223 for 123gr +.

Comment

• mdewitt71
          Warrior
          • Dec 2016

I love TAC in .308 150- 155 grain loads.
          Cheap per pound, meters like water, and pretty easy to find when other powders are scarce.

I shot CFE in 165 gr 308 loads with terrible temperature affects last year.
          I was able to shoot the same (no where near max) CFE loads in 18 degrees and 95 plus degrees just months apart same lot, same loads.
          The recoil and POI differences alone were enuf to make me quit using CFE in 308.

I will have to try in 6.5G when I get my upper.
          ― George Orwell

Comment

Working...
          X