X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Texkitch
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2017

Klem, thanks for the detailed info. Lots of reasons to stick with the lead, especially since lead free is not required here in Texas. I’ll work up slowly on the E-tips and get some 120NBTs to compare accuracy but I’ll likely lean towards the ballistic tips because of the availability and lower pressures. The 123 SST is my go to now and I’ll see if the 120NBT can beat it.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Lots of good info posted here.

Think of the 120gr E-Tip more like a 140gr cup and core lead bullet. They take up the same amount of space due to the length, so case capacity is sacrificed.

They really do much better from larger case capacity cartridges, but many have been used to take game.

I think the best 120gr lead free currently is the 120gr TSX. Doesn't take up too much space, so it can be driven pretty fast using CFE223, although its BC is mediocre and expansion envelope keeps you within 200yds at sea level.

Sneaky sent me some 94, 95, and 100gr Hornady GMXs that I really like, especially the 94-95gr weight range. They do 2700-2800fps from an 18" with CFE223 and penetrate deeply with rapid expansion, 99" weight retention.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

When I bought my first Grendel- in 2008 , I loaded 100 & 120 Nos bt's. for accuracy. They are accurate. I used Tac.

Klem you are correct -on powder charge adjustments--- I actually started 3 grns. less, I had no trials with unleaded before, especially in lighter trims.

Klem, also, federal did cut the 1 skinny groove in house - for the E tip, when they started loading for non Grrr calibers. I asked for 2-3 on the Grrr.

I plowed the road on these monos. I have a plenty of notes upon my trys, never popped a primer, even on hot days with ammo in trunk.

I feel confident that I will never hurt a bolt. Faster speeds, less wt loss through the game,,, Bill A & I had some converse of this all 9 years ago. Impact speeds. Bullet diam. Etc. .264 is ideal.

I have hit upper warm whilst in my 9 year trials- yet nothing that ever scared me at all. Many of us are super tuned into this round. Yes, it is that awesome.

To the first 2, & the next 2-3 that are willing to try my returned LFP's from ROS, I will pm safe load data.

Back to Nosler 120 BT's, I did take a large doe in 2000 it was 25 yds, neck shot- well they always get game .
        Last edited by sneaky one; 02-01-2018, 02:43 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

If anyone needs data on my Cut down rounds- PM me

Verify that you are older than 18, I don't want to give data to a youngster, under 18. I'll check with BFT soon on this issue.
          Last edited by sneaky one; 02-01-2018, 02:58 AM.

Comment

• jason miller
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

Bryan Litz's testing found the BC on the 120 BT to be .419, for anyone interested.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by jason miller View Post
              Bryan Litz's testing found the BC on the 120 BT to be .419, for anyone interested.
              That number makes more sense as these have very short boat tails.

At 2460fps at sea level, that gives you expansion to 350yds, assuming 1800fps expansion.

350yds 1801fps 864ft-lbs -29.1" 7.9 MOA 2.3 Mils

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jason miller
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

He also shows the 123 sst at .462, for comparison.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

He also shows the 123 sst at .462, for comparison.
                  That's the BC I use for 123g SST, and .468 for 123gr AMAX if you're using G1.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jason miller
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2016

Those 123 AMax probably aren't a bad hunting bullet at the reduced speeds of a Grendel, btw. I shot a couple into milk jugs filled with water last year. Started at over 2600 fps, they didn't get shredded too badly. And started at 2400 and impacting jugs at 440 yards for an estimated impact velocity of just over 1700 fps, they still opened up really well.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Those 123 AMax probably aren't a bad hunting bullet at the reduced speeds of a Grendel, btw. I shot a couple into milk jugs filled with water last year. Started at over 2600 fps, they didn't get shredded too badly. And started at 2400 and impacting jugs at 440 yards for an estimated impact velocity of just over 1700 fps, they still opened up really well.
                      There's a whole chapter on this in Volume II of the Handbooks that Rickoshay did the gel testing for.

123gr AMAX performed very similarly to 123gr SST at high impact speeds, but seems to expand down to 1600fps.

Makes a great white tail/medium game load. DNS has had mixed results with it on hogs-kills them, just not as fast as SST when looking at runners.

For behind ear and head shots, it seems to DRT most of the time.

Before the 123gr SST was made for Grendel, a lot of hunters were using the AMAX and killing everything they pointed it at.

Hornady responded with 123gr SST so it would have a controlled expansion factory load from them.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• centerfire
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Klem View Post

Blems - I would be cautious buying bullet blems for anything other than short range plinking. They may be fine but bullet imperfections and precision do not sit well together. A blem receiver, sure, but not bullets.
                        This can't be overstated. I've been buying Nosler factory seconds for at least the last 15 years. The "blems" are not always visual. Sometimes there is an obvious cosmetic abnormality that explains the seconds, like tarnish, but often there are no obvious external cues. I've asked over the years and Nosler is somewhat coy about what constitutes a second. My experience suggests it is construction or design as well as cosmetic. I've shot thousands of the seconds and there can be significant performance differences; one lot may be a 1/2" load and the next may not even hold an inch. In some cases Nosler may have even changed the construction or design and the seconds are the old production. I have had different lots of the same 1st's bullets with obvious design revisions that carry the same part number and one of the lots matches seconds purchased around the same time. The seconds can be a good buy but understand these bullets aren't necessarily a cosmetic second nor does Nosler make that claim.

Comment

• Bobke
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2015

Have shot about 2k 123 CC blems with pretty good results, but only after sorting into base to ogive lots. I picked up some 129 ABLR’s recently that varied .024 within that sampling. One solid basis for establishing a final load after determining optimal charge weight is a seating depth test, done in pretty small increments. Wouldn’t expect best results if the lot variations exceeded seating depth spec. Sort them, and that can yield a fair return on your time doing so.

Comment

• Splatt
                            Warrior
                            • May 2017

Just need more powders, and dies !

Comment

• Klem
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

"There's your four, and four more on top."... LOL

(Check out the new packaging)
                              Last edited by Klem; 02-06-2018, 03:00 AM.

Comment

• FW Conch
                                Warrior
                                • Nov 2014

^^^ That's a String raise :-))

Comment

Working...
                                X