• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mindreader1
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2016

129 gr Interlock load

I purchased some 129 gr Hornady Interlock bullets as a filler item to get reduced shipping on a recent order. I have WSR and 8208 powder with Hornady once fired brass. Any kind of load recipe would be appreciated! Would like to use it for the range and deer or hogs
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

8208 XBR is quite fast burning of a powder for 129gr, but you can load lighter charge weights to stay away from pressure spikes.

Hornady actually has data for your exact components, including the WSR primer.

Hornady Brass
    WSR
    8208 XBR
    129gr Interlock SP
    2.245" COL (check your COL yourself)
    Start load is 22.4gr
    Max is 26.2gr

Don't exceed .3gr increments with 6.5 Grendel is my advice, as it's a ~30gr average case capacity cartridge.

I personally would not load 8208 XBR under a 129gr, and we can't give you a recipe because you really need to work it up in your chamber/rifle.

The powders I've had the best luck with under 129gr are CFE223 and LEVERevolution, as they are very forgiving, build pressure very consistently, and generate the fastest speeds in 6.5 Grendel.

You can also use AA2520, BL-C(2), AR-Comp, RL-15, and even Varget.

What barrel length and rifle are you loading for?
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• SDguy
      Warrior
      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Mindreader1 View Post
      I purchased some 129 gr Hornady Interlock bullets as a filler item to get reduced shipping on a recent order. I have WSR and 8208 powder with Hornady once fired brass. Any kind of load recipe would be appreciated! Would like to use it for the range and deer or hogs
      30 to 31.7 GR of LVR W CCI 450 primers has been my preferred load in a couple bolt action 6.5 Grendel's w that bullet. Chrono results have been astounding for this efficient case capacity.

Comment

• Mindreader1
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2016

Ah bummer. I just ordered some imr 4895,4064 and h4350. Assume none of those will work? Which one is more versatile? Cfe223, RL 15 or BLC?
        Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        8208 XBR is quite fast burning of a powder for 129gr, but you can load lighter charge weights to stay away from pressure spikes.

Hornady actually has data for your exact components, including the WSR primer.

Hornady Brass
        WSR
        8208 XBR
        129gr Interlock SP
        2.245" COL (check your COL yourself)
        Start load is 22.4gr
        Max is 26.2gr

Don't exceed .3gr increments with 6.5 Grendel is my advice, as it's a ~30gr average case capacity cartridge.

I personally would not load 8208 XBR under a 129gr, and we can't give you a recipe because you really need to work it up in your chamber/rifle.

The powders I've had the best luck with under 129gr are CFE223 and LEVERevolution, as they are very forgiving, build pressure very consistently, and generate the fastest speeds in 6.5 Grendel.

You can also use AA2520, BL-C(2), AR-Comp, RL-15, and even Varget.

What barrel length and rifle are you loading for?

Comment

• Bobke
          Warrior
          • Dec 2015

Versatile? CFE.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

+1 cfe ^^^
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Mindreader1
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2016

Cfe added!
              Originally posted by grayfox View Post
              +1 cfe ^^^

Comment

• kcb38
                Warrior
                • Jun 2017

Anybody have load data for 129 Interlocks and AA2520? I don't have the Hornady manual yet and they don't have it online either. Accurate's data only goes up to 123 grains.
                - Kirk -

Comment

• Bfglowkee
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2019

For me the XBR at 24.8 g and the interlocks were crazy accurate but only at 2200 FPS. But for hunting it works out to 200 which is all I need it to. This weekend is my AR Comp test. I got the 123 SST and AR Comp to shoot really well also.

Hornady Brass
                  CCI 450

Comment

• kcb38
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2017

Yes I saw your thread and the load data for XBR but this is my first time reloading and I wanted to use a powder that doesn't build pressure as quickly as XBR. I've seen 2520 recommended and I have some so I figured I'd go with that. I have AR Comp too but I haven't seen any loads for that. Maybe I'm being too cautious but this being my first time I figured it would be best to err on the side of safety.
                    - Kirk -

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

kcb, my hornady #9 lists AA2520 starting 24.7 - 28.5 gr, 2.245 coal. their 28.5 says 2350, 18" barrel. start low work up.
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grendelnubi
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2017

Also you need to be aware that the seating depth may vary for the listed Hornady 2.245 COAL. In my 16" Grendel if using this COAL put me into the lands. I'm having to seat to 2.183 with a ogive to base of 1.679.

I did find a very small node using AA2520 at 28grs. Out of a 16" the FPS avg 2239 with a super low ES=4 and SD=7, 3 shots only.

Comment

• kcb38
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2017

Thanks fox!

Originally posted by grendelnubi View Post
                          Also you need to be aware that the seating depth may vary for the listed Hornady 2.245 COAL. In my 16" Grendel if using this COAL put me into the lands. I'm having to seat to 2.183 with a ogive to base of 1.679.
                          Is that a bolt gun? I haven't checked yet but I thought mag length wouldn't allow you to get into the lands in an AR.
                          Last edited by kcb38; 02-27-2019, 02:48 AM.
                          - Kirk -

Comment

• grendelnubi
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2017

It is an AR, 16" Anderson Arms barrel I purchased it several years ago at a gun show. It my first attempt building a Grendel. I shot it a few times with factory ammo only and then changed out the barrel. Just recently I had a upper receiver sitting around and decided to go ahead and put it together again for a friend of mine who hunts with a 5.56. I figured I would let him use it to experience the grendel. This is when I discovered if I seat this interlock sp to 2.245, it would put me into the lands. I have a pic attached. You can see it is seated way past the cannelure.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• kcb38
                              Warrior
                              • Jun 2017

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely check the length to the lands before I start loading.
                              - Kirk -

Comment

Working...
                              X