• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HillclimberCR500
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2016

Modified mags?

Saw this on accurate shooter forum anybody do this with grendel mags. Says thet are loading out to 2.340.

• ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Very interesting. Might have to give that a go.
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Cornbread
      Warrior
      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
      COPPER BULLETS COPPER PROJECTILES NONLEAD ALL COPPER SOLID COPPER HUNTING TARGET

Not sure when they will be back in stock but the pri's are top notch and these have been machined not hand cut with a dremel.

Comment

• CavityBackBullets
        Warrior
        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Cornbread View Post
        http://www.cavitybackbullets.com/pro...ri-mod-mag.htm

Not sure when they will be back in stock but the pri's are top notch and these have been machined not hand cut with a dremel.
        The next batch is at the machine shop now.

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by HillclimberCR500 View Post
          Saw this on accurate shooter forum anybody do this with grendel mags. Says thet are loading out to 2.340.

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/sixhagar03.jpg
          Take this with the proverbial grain of salt. The 6mm Hagar uses a conventional, single angle throat, but I am not certain on how much lead they are cut with. One will most likely be able to benefit from this modification if one is using one of the variant chambers (i.e. non-SAAMI throat).

I can't load my favorites (123 Amax or ELD-M's) anywhere near "magazine length" without contacting the compound throat of my Larue 6.5 Grendel barrel (most of my mags allow seating to ~2.295"). The 85 Sierra HP, with its more pronounced ogive, gets stuck when loaded at 2.210"

With my .264 LBCs and their conventional throats, the story is very different. Single fed rounds can be seated as long as 2.325" for 120 SMK, 2.331" for the 123 Amax, and 2.335" for the 123 SST. I can't load the 95 VMax long enough to reach mag length and still leave enough bullet in the case neck.

So, in my particular case, it would be possible to use such a magazine for my 264 LBCs...

But then there is that limited round count. These mags all seem to be cut to allow no more than 5-6 long loaded rounds, before the integrity of the magazine comes into question. If all you want/need is 5-6 round mags, I suppose you're golden. To make a case for such a limitation, though, only becomes a spiral into straw man arguments with very limited applications (IMNSHO).

Long and short of it is this: Be aware of the nuances of these magazines and how they do or don't apply to your specific chambering.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• CavityBackBullets
            Warrior
            • Nov 2016

These mags are cut so they will take 10 rounds. I only use PRI mags because they are welded and the strongest.
            As to your barrels throat length this is absolutely correct.
            A non compound throat Grendel can take better advantage of these mags.
            An extremely long projection bullet may get an advantage in a SAAMI Grendel chamber.
            These mags are done for the 6.8SPC however have shown to feed 6.5 Grendel, 22 Nosler, 6mmAR etc ammo just fine.
            These are NOT intended to be battle mags or home defense mags.
            They are intended for hunting, target and long range shooting if the use of more than 10 rounds is not needed.
            Except for hog hunters most folks I know only hunt with 10 rounds mags.
            We have put out 100's of them to date and not one complaint yet.

Brian Litz take on loading long. I'll let him point out the benefits.
            I spoke with Brian at length before designing my bullets or pursuing loading long in some applications.
            Last edited by CavityBackBullets; 10-11-2017, 04:40 AM.

Comment

• GaCop
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2017

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
              +1!

Comment

• TKO
                Bloodstained
                • Feb 2017

Would the added 0.1" afforded by these magazines make the AccuBond LR 6.5mm 142 Grain Bullet a viable option due to the small powder capacity increase . . . provided that they would not be into the lands at a COL of 2.360"?

Comment

• rabiddawg
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2013

I’m thinking the pressure limit gets you before coal does with the heavier pills
                  Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

Working...
                  X