• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glockhappy
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

School me on Grendel brass

I have been shooting 6.5 Grendel for a few months now, but have been shooting factory loads thus far. I am venturing into loading some of my own but I only have 200-300 pieces of brass and am thinking I will need to buy more. The choices on brass seem limited to Hornady and Lapua and Nosler. Once upon a time I had terrible luck with Hornady brass being improperly annealed and sticking in the chamber of my 338, I am not the biggest fan of Hornady brass to say the least. What brass do you feel works best for the Grendel? Where do you get it? While I'm asking, do any particular die sets seem to work better for Grendel?
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Hornady brass for the Grendel is great stuff. I run a max charge in my handloads at 50k psi and I retire my brass after 10 reloads. Could probably push further but with the availability of Grendel brass lately why bother.

Lapua obviously is the best in the b uisness.

I have a bunch of federal brass from factory ammo I've yet to try loading, anxious for a report from someone who has used it extensively.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Lapua
      Norma
      Nosler
      Hornady

They're all great brass really. I haven't lost any Hornady that I can remember. I shoot both Lapua and Hornady a lot.

Hornady Grendel brass is a different ballgame than .338 LM brass, as is the working pressure between the two cartridges.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Seems like a many of us have different results with same products. Primer pockets can get loose real fast on any brass- if pushed hard it seems.

Or just bad ass specs from the engineer on the spot. Been there -seen that all my life , Good Lordian. Measure 15 times to set a std. Not just once!!!!!!

Ignorance is NOT bliss ! Shape up America!---- Sorry,,,

Neck splits - Good fun if a new loader dude- or dudette ----

Either neck tension is too tight, or the brass is too hard. The std. of 70% copper and 30 % zinc has always been tweaked, by the ones that want to save a penny per round, so the ceo can live in paradise--- Ahhhhhh paradise. Where is that ? I want in. Hee.

zinc is a bit less expensive than copper.

Zinc increased the hardness, no jokes please- Ironically- That's why I prefer the GMX bullet over the barnes unit of only copper., for my hunting ---- so far. 95% coppa & 5% zinc. They Rock. Then Roll the deer..
        Last edited by sneaky one; 09-14-2017, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X