• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 41bear
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Grendel OAL and accuracy

As I'm about to start reloading for my new Grendel build I'm wondering if any here have tried a longer OAL, if possible in your barrel, to increase accuracy? I understand the length deficiency (2.600) caused by the Mags but also noticed that several advertise a OAL of 2.300, I've checked my Mags and that is the measurement I get.

So what does the Horde advise?
    "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town
  • Wafavre2
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

You need to verify your chamber depth first. You may depending on the bullet you choose sit too close to the lands and create an overpressure condition. You could also leave the bullet stuck in the barrel if you eject the round by hand.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

All my mags allow 2.295" or more, depending on the mag. Book data for COL is limited to 2.260" for standardization purposes.

VLDs and bullets with really long-for-caliber ogives can be loaded out longer if your magazine and chamber will allow it.

I personally make dummy rounds with a new bullet if I haven't loaded it yet, load it to around 2.300", then color the ogive-shank junction with black marker, then see of it chambers.

I extract it, look at the marks from the rifling, measure their length, then turn my seating die down more than that until I am less than the marks measurement. Start my jump increments there.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 41bear
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        All my mags allow 2.295" or more, depending on the mag. Book data for COL is limited to 2.260" for standardization purposes.

VLDs and bullets with really long-for-caliber ogives can be loaded out longer if your magazine and chamber will allow it.

I personally make dummy rounds with a new bullet if I haven't loaded it yet, load it to around 2.300", then color the ogive-shank junction with black marker, then see of it chambers.

I extract it, look at the marks from the rifling, measure their length, then turn my seating die down more than that until I am less than the marks measurement. Start my jump increments there.
        Thanks, I also make dummy rounds for each bullet that I plan to shoot for each barrel I will shoot it from.

I've been lucky with the 300 BO, have 3, in that they all shoot the same load lengths. Hope this will also be true for my two Grendel's, the cheap $90.00 barrel as well as the $300.00 one. We shall see.
        "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

Working...
        X