• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

When did Hornady take over AA brass?

I have a box of one hundred "ALEX-A 6.5 GREN" headstamped brass. I am wondering how I can determine if it's Lapua or Hornady manufactured. Is the newer Hornady made stuff stamped differently or does AA spec out the headstamp?

Thanks horde.

When did Hornady take over production for AA?
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
  • Djgrendel
    Warrior
    • Feb 2016

Look for annealed case necks to determine lapua pedigree. Have not ordered any of the AA hornady brass/ ammo to see if it's annealed. But hornady doesn't anneal their grendel stamped brass
    Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
      Chieftain
      • May 2012

i want to say it was nearly 2 years ago, they started specifying hornady AA brass on the website whatever the contract was with lapua must have expired or something.... shoot it if you get 5-10 reloads before primer pocket loosens its probably hornady if you get 15+ its probably lapua if you push to the raged edge expect short brass life regardless
      Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

Weigh it......
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Lapua flash hole is smaller than Hornady and requires a smaller diameter decapping pin.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

AA changed vendors because of price increases with the US distributors.

Remember when we could get AA/Lapua brass for $66/100? Not after a few years ago when the price hike was implemented.

Another way to tell Lapua brass from Hornady is the angle of the chamfer at the edge of the case head. Hornady has a larger chamfer.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

Has the headstamp changed since the Hornady manufacture started? I take it that it hasn't as we are even discussing weighing the virgin brass... since I don't have any other virgin brass except factory loads...

So far: 1) ANNEALED 2) SMALLER (APPARENT) FLASH HOLES 3) SMALLER HEAD EDGE CHAMFER

I'm betting this is of Lapua Manufacture. As is the once fired stuff I have with the same headstamp. I guess I'll chalk this one up for a win.
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• tpepper70
                Unwashed
                • Jun 2017

I have some Alex-a, Lapua and Hornady. The Hornady weighed about 4 grains more than the other 2. I figured Lapua would weigh more.

Comment

Working...
                X