• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwh
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

What powder for 108 gr bullets, 28 inch barrel, extended gas system

I have a new 28 inch barrel that I intend to use to shoot 130 gr bergers across the course this summer. The rifle is shooting the 130s really well with a reduced power buffer spring. I am really close to 2600 fps with 30.1 gr LVR and CCI 450 primers. However I am having zero luck getting this setup to cycle 108 scenars with VIHT N133 and CCI 41 primers. With the lighter bullets there is barely enough gas to slide the bolt back half way before it slams home. Luckily the case never ejects to the brass doesn't get damaged but it would be nice to use the 108s for short range if I can get them to cycle. Do any of you with 28 inch barrels shoot 108 bullets? What powder/primer do you use?
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Try CFE223 with the 108gr Scenar, which has the same jacket and external length of the 123gr Scenar.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rwh
      Warrior
      • Jun 2014

Thank you. I will give that a try.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

LVR might work with the 108gr Scenar too.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• terrywick4
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          Try CFE223 with the 108gr Scenar, which has the same jacket and external length of the 123gr Scenar.
          isn'r 108 on the light side for CFE? wouldn't 8208 a better choice for lighter bullets?

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

He has a longer gas system that he needs a slower burning powder to power up with lighter bullets.

8208 is a really fast punt, ideal for the AR15 RLGS with certain weights, especially in .223 Rem.

One of the early powders they were using for the AR15 in the 1950s and early 60s was 8208M, since they knew they wanted a tiny extruded powder for the system requirements, which the Army then threw out the window and introduced ball propellant into, causing the increased cyclic rate of the gun in the early-mid 1960s.

With CFE or LVR, the 108gr Scenar should have more pressure behind it when it hits the port, since the pressure curve seems to be elongated with these powders in 6.5 Grendel.

I use ~34gr of LVR under the cut-down 95gr GMXs Sneaky sent me.

For the 108gr Scenar, I would start with 30gr and work up with CFE223.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• s3silver
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

I don't know how much extended your gas port is in relation to a standard rifle gas port, but I'm using benchmark for my 100 ttsx loads out of a 22" barrel. Cycles perfectly with ejected cases land about 4 o'clock. Runs about 2800 fps.

Comment

• Bwild97
                Warrior
                • Jan 2015

Win748
                BLC-2
                CFE223
                LeveRevoloution (LVR)

Are the powders most appropriate for barrels over 24" I'm really liking Viht N133 for my 12.5" and my 18" It just will not cycle my 24"
                with out making adjustments to the gasblock. The same is true for XBR8208 in loadings less than near max.

Comment

Working...
                X