• Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    So it was done in Mexico.
    LRRP52:

Yes, in non sanctioned matches, the Service Teams could use commercial ammunition. Until the DoD came up with M-852 Match which used the 168 grain Match King.

However, the term was derogatory then and remains so now. It is just that fewer people got upset over it then.

LR55

Comment

• FW Conch
      Warrior
      • Nov 2014

If I look at the map, and say that's Mexico, is that a derogatory term?

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

OK Guys:

Predictable response so I will lock the thread.

Note the term isn't 'Mexico' -- meaning the country. Rather 'Mexican' -- meaning the people.

The terms comes from the stigma that Mexicans can turn something that is basically crap into something usable by going cheap and making it look good for a short period of time before it falls apart. Also known as 'Mexing' something that didn't work into something that works temporarily before it falls apart again. And folks, don't come on like you never heard of the term 'Mexing' something and its meaning. Would any of you like your house 'Mexed' together if it was found with major structural problems? It implies third world workmanship that may look good but will eventually fail because the people doing the work know nothing about engineering. The term stigmatizes a race and culture in negative terms.

Who here would go to a fellow shooter of Mexican descent and ask him if he is shooting 'Mexican Match' ammo? Oh yes, a bunch of you say you would but actually wouldn't. And I am sure that if I kept this thread open, some would come back saying they asked a shooting buddy who is of Mexican descent if it was insulting and he said it wasn't. I don't really care what any of you think about it.

The Grendel forum is about firearms, shooting, hunting, and the Grendel cartridge. It isn't about sociology.

So the thread is closed. Want to bitch about it, Gringo's? Go to John or Bill Waites.

LR55

Comment

Working...
        X