• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pajasonc
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Anyone make any Mexican Match ammo

Thought about pulling a 100 wolf steel case bullets and replacing them with a cheaper copper jacketed bullet. Anyone try this and how were the results and what bullet did you use. Wouldn't need to be super match type accurate but if it could equal or slightly surpass the factory wolf and use a copper jacketed bullet that would make me happy
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 03-24-2017, 12:55 AM.
  • SightedIn
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

When i was getting 308 milsurp for dirt cheap it was worth it...i don see a point with Grendel however...if your buying wolf grendel than just shoot it->->->

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by pajasonc View Post
      Thought about pulling a 100 wolf steel case bullets and replacing them with a cheaper copper jacketed bullet. Anyone try this and how were the results and what bullet did you use. Wouldn't need to be super match type accurate but if it could equal or slightly surpass the factory wolf and use a copper jacketed bullet that would make me happy
      PJ:

I have done this with Wolf MPT. Pulled their mediocre 120 grain bullet and replaced with a 120 grain Sierra Match King. Immediately turned from a marginal performer to as good as anything a person can hand load. Velocities were still very low though.

Never did it with steel case ammo but the only thing I can see you having a problem with is the steel case itself. I bet pulling the bullets will not be fun and am not sure how well you can adjust neck tension when seating -- or if you have to do it at all.

I am pretty sure you can find bullets weighing as much or less than the steel case stuff, and that will shoot better.

LR55

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I think a factory load with the 90 grain TNT or 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip in steel cases would make a good varmint load. A varmint hunter can go through quite a few rounds in a years time and you can leave the cases to nature. Same goes for the guys shooting hogs, Hornady 123 grain SST loaded in Branual steel cases might sell very well in Texas.

Comment

• pajasonc
          Warrior
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
          I think a factory load with the 90 grain TNT or 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip in steel cases would make a good varmint load. A varmint hunter can go through quite a few rounds in a years time and you can leave the cases to nature. Same goes for the guys shooting hogs, Hornady 123 grain SST loaded in Branual steel cases might sell very well in Texas.
          That was my thoughts. It would cost around 50 cents a round to do this. I don't have enough brass saved up to bother with it yet. In a couple more months I will but you could load the steel case with a better bullet cheaper than buying components

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
            Chieftain
            • May 2012

is your goal to have nicer shooting ammo that you can not worry about recovering the case for? or avoid using a bimetal jacket bullet? by the time you go through the hassel of swapping the bullet and paying for said bullet i dont know that you are saving anything over just reloading
            Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• pajasonc
              Warrior
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
              is your goal to have nicer shooting ammo that you can not worry about recovering the case for? or avoid using a bimetal jacket bullet? by the time you go through the hassel of swapping the bullet and paying for said bullet i dont know that you are saving anything over just reloading
              Once I save up enough brass I will reload it but I am not going to bother until I get at least 100 pieces. To me buying the brass at .50 cents a piece isn't worth it. I will just shoot Hornady factory until I get enough. I am up to 60 empties. I have fired a few hundred of the steel case wolf. It was just a thought that crossed my mind and figured I would see if anyone was doing it.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I use my reloaded PPU brass or fire formed 7.62 X 39 brass for varmint hunting so I'm not loosing my Lapua or Hornady brass.

Comment

• 1911man
                  Warrior
                  • May 2015

Ive used to do this in Milsurp .308 and 7.62x39. The .308 was brass and the other steel cased Monarch ammo from Academy. I pull the FMJ out of that round and loaded a 123 Vmax bullet in its place and got 1MOA performence out of my AR.

The problem I have with doing that in the wolf steel is that the Velocity is just not very good out of that ammo. There is very little benefit to having a 100ish grain bullet going 2600 fps. So sure you could have a somewhat cheap, somewhat accurate load but it wouldnt be very useful IMO.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2012

i actually just bought my first box of grendel ammo its wolf steel haven't shot it yet but it was cheap and i was buying other stuff the rest of my shooting has been home grown i actually have a converted wolf steel 7.62 case that i have reloaded 8 times now and is shoots equal to my lapua brass for me its as much about tinkering as a distraction from lif than it is anything else

Comment

• am4966
                      Chieftain
                      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by pajasonc View Post
                      WTF is Mexican ammo? I know Wolfs not mfg in Mexico, I'm just really confused by this and by the mods for not asking you or telling you to change your subject line.
                      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
                        WTF is Mexican ammo? I know Wolfs not mfg in Mexico, I'm just really confused by this and by the mods for not asking you or telling you to change your subject line.
                        "Mexican match" is a phrase that was used by a lot of high power shooters who would pull the bullets from loaded .308 cases, and usually seat a 168gr SMK on them.

I do not remember why they call it "Mexican match". I figured someone would ask.

LR1955 will be able to provide more history on it I think.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LR1955
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          "Mexican match" is a phrase that was used by a lot of high power shooters who would pull the bullets from loaded .308 cases, and usually seat a 168gr SMK on them.

I do not remember why they call it "Mexican match". I figured someone would ask.

LR1955 will be able to provide more history on it I think.
                          Guys:

Some High Power shooters called it 'Mexican Match'. Others termed it 'Pull / Push' (pull one bullet and push (seat) another bullet. Although it was not considered a derogatory term forty years ago, I am sure it is considered derogatory today.

So I will now ask who ever started the thread to change the term from 'Mexican Match' to 'Pull / Push'.

Yes, I have pull / pushed a bunch of NATO ammo over the years. My advice is that if you want to go this route, use a bullet the same weight or lighter than the issued bullet.

We would not -- not -- pull M-80 ball and seat a 168 Match King over the M-80 load. Sure fire way of blowing primers from crimped cases. If we pull pushed M-80, we would dump the powder and re-charge with a much lighter charge.

We would pull push 168's over M-118 Special Ball because the Special Ball bullet was 173 grains and not as good to 600 yards. However, M-118 Special Ball was in many cases a better choice for 1K yard shooting because it stayed supersonic. Seems like no one can get one of those old 168 Match Kings to stay supersonic at 1K yards.

As for cleaning out the tar used to seal the bullet in Lake City ammo, no real need. I have never seen it to make a difference. Surprising to me, too.

So, change the topic from 'Mexican Match' to Pull / Push please.

LR55

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2012

When I used to compete in military rifle matches, competitors were always looking for an "edge" against their competition. However, most of us were on a somewhat limited budget. The matches would supply us with military ball ammo in many cases. Someone once got a great idea about how to...

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

I believe the term Mexican Match comes from the first use of the Sierra 168 gr. International bullet at the Pan American Games which was held in Mexico City in 1956. It’s my understanding that in non National matches the Army Marksmanship Team could pull the original factory bullets and replace them with the Sierra bullets but at the time they couldn’t do so if they were shooting in any of the sanction matches.
                              So it was done in Mexico.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X