• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Constitutionalist
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

FWIW- Brass and Ammo to put back

I like to have a small ammo stash for each rifle "just in case". IMO A gun without ammo is a poorly designed club. I love my Grendel more than my 5.56, but the cost of brass and ammo makes it a little hard to put numbers on the shelf. I figured I'd share the plan I came up with:

I picked up 500 once-fired 7.62x39 brass. I'll be fire forming them with a WLR primer, 28.5gr of Leverevolution (shoots well in my rifle YMMV) , and an over-run 123gr. Nosler CC. The cost is:

Primer= $.03
    Powder= $.10
    Brass= $.18
    Bullet= $.17
    Total= $.48

I figure this will give me some low cost practice ammo and some fully formed brass at the end. I'll then reload the brass (with 30.0gr.) and put that back along with 1k WLP primers, 5lb. of LVR, and 1000 Nosler CC Over-runs. This will let me stash the equivalent of 1500 rds. with an effective cost of $.35 per round (spreading the brass cost against 4 loadings).

Thanks to everyone for all the great info on this site!

John
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Sounds like a viable plan. I found that S&B large rifle primers fit tighter in my fire formed X39 brass than my Winchester LR primers. Fire formed X39 and PPU 6.5 Grendel primer pockets get loose pretty quick. I've used my FF X39 brass with factory second bullets for close range plinking or varmint loads where I might not be able to recover my brass. I've also put back some Wolf steel cased ammo.

Comment

• Constitutionalist
      Warrior
      • Nov 2016

Thanks for the info. Vascar2! I picked up a couple thousand S&B LR primers a few weeks ago but haven't popped any of them yet. Caught them on sale for $22.99/k. I'll give them a go before I get into "production".

John

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

Not for me. If I want cheap ammo I will search point and click on wolf at $.25 per round.

I value my time too much to mess with forming x39 brass
        Last edited by rabiddawg; 03-16-2017, 12:20 AM.
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Wolf steel case...
          23.7 cents per fully-loaded cartridge
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Constitutionalist
            Warrior
            • Nov 2016

Steel case is essentially a one shot deal (although I've heard of folks drilling out the primer pocket and reloading them). If things get bad the brass cases will have value. You can make bullets, powder, and even primers if needed. Cases are another story.

And the thing with reloaded (even fire formed) is you can still tune the load to the gun for accuracy. The only rifle for which I haven't been able to make a handload more accurate than factory ammo is my daughter's Weatherby .30-06. To clarify: This ammo isn't being stashed so I can have a fun day at the range during the next Obama-effect.

Rabiddawg, I enjoy reloading. After a long day at work it's very relaxing. It's also very rewarding to see a rifle responding to a tailored load. I have a Savage 24F (a gun not know for precision accuracy) in .30-30/12 gauge. I have a 110gr. SP load ( for coyote calling) and a 170gr FN load (for deer and black bear) that both shoot just under 1" 5 shot groups at 100yds. The best I can get with factory ammo is 2 1/2" to 3". Some factory loads are significantly worse.

For me reloading isn't JUST about saving money, although it's pretty satisfying when I get very accurate loads for half the price of factory ammo!

Have a great night, Guys!

John

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

I reload too but we disagree on our source for brass.

I bought hornady factory loads, shot them and reload my brass. If I didn't reload I could sell my once fired brass for $.50 per case.

I read your post as saying you wanted to stash this ammo. If your intent is to use it vs storing it then imo you are going about it the hard way.

Even if you were given the x39 brass, your figures say the wolf is still cheaper to "put back"

Fwiw, I don't enjoy reloading. I do it to save money and tune my loads but the desire to achieve that perfect load ruins it for me. It's like hunting for a unicorn
              Last edited by rabiddawg; 03-16-2017, 02:33 AM.
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• pajasonc
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                Wolf steel case...
                23.7 cents per fully-loaded cartridge
                http://ammoseek.com/ammo/6.5mm-grendel
                Yep. I put 500 in my stash that won't get used. Then I will buy what I am shooting but will keep the 500 as a backup. The ammo is good enough for range and shtf. I won't try it except but in a emergency but I suspect with its ability to tumble it would work well on deer,hogs and bear(black kind)

Comment

• Constitutionalist
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2016

I fire formed 6 rounds this weekend just to try a different load- 25gr. of AA2520, S&B LR primer, 123gr Nosler CC, Fiocchi 7.62x39mmbrass. I got a 1 1/4" group at 100 yards and the rifle cycled fine. Maybe there is something to "Fire Forming Syndrome"!

Have a great night!

John

Comment

Working...
                  X