• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clays23
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

Ramshot Tac good for beginner?

Hey guys I am about to begin reloading soon. I will be reloading for my two ARs, my grendel and LR-308. Would Ramshot Tac be a good choice for these two platforms? Shooting mostly 123 grain in grendel and 168-180 grain in LR-308.

Thanks!
    Joshua 1:9
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

TAC is a very solid choice in the 65G; not absolute best velocities, but no slouch either. Should be within 50-75 fps of CFE223 for 123gr bullets.

Best velocities at good pressures — off top of my head — are roughly:

85-95gr = H335
    95-107gr = 8208XBR
    107-123gr = CFE223
    123-130gr = LEVERevolution

Right, guys? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Haven't checked on AA2520 availability lately, but it was almost a miracle powder, vying for first place in most any bullet weight in the 65G, according to Western Powders data.

Can't speak to TAC for .308.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Clays23 View Post
      Hey guys I am about to begin reloading soon. I will be reloading for my two ARs, my grendel and LR-308. Would Ramshot Tac be a good choice for these two platforms? Shooting mostly 123 grain in grendel and 168-180 grain in LR-308.

Thanks!
      Clays:

Bottom line is yes. TAC is a fine powder for both cartridges. When the Grendel started up, TAC and 2520 were the most versatile powders one could use for the Grendel. Both are also fine for a .308 but chances are you won't be able to find 2520 very easily if at all.

Follow the load data from a reloading manual and you will be fine.

LR55

Comment

• Rickc
        Warrior
        • Aug 2016

You mean this powder

Comment

• Clays23
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

Thanks guys! Sounds like 2520 may be best bet

Comment

• explorecaves
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

According to Accurate powder's load data for the Grendel, 2520 will be a compressed load. http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...2016_Web-1.pdf

Comment

• Drillboss
              Warrior
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
              According to Accurate powder's load data for the Grendel, 2520 will be a compressed load. http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...2016_Web-1.pdf
              I don't think that's necessarily a problem. I usually find my best performance somewhat below published maximum.

Looks like several online vendors have 2520 in stock. I've seen it at Brownell's, Graf, and Cabelas as well.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Rickc View Post
                Wow, after about five years of nothing, it is on the shelves again.

Some say it isn't the same as the powder that Alexander used when he did his first load testing. I agree, it isn't. However, TAC used to be a very heavily used powder in .308 many years ago until it too changed. Now it isn't used very much for competitive purposes anymore. Both still great for the Grendel and .308, neither so great for competitive purposes.

I think that 2520 has the edge in terms of producing velocity.

LR55

Comment

• rabiddawg
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2013

Surely the compressed load references the max.

If the minimum load was compressed it would mean you can't reasonably fit more in it.

For those interested the Grendel data is found on page 39
                  Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Clays23
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                    Wow, after about five years of nothing, it is on the shelves again.

Some say it isn't the same as the powder that Alexander used when he did his first load testing. I agree, it isn't. However, TAC used to be a very heavily used powder in .308 many years ago until it too changed. Now it isn't used very much for competitive purposes anymore. Both still great for the Grendel and .308, neither so great for competitive purposes.

I think that 2520 has the edge in terms of producing velocity.

LR55
                    Yes looks like it has the velocity edge by about 60 fps, think I will give it the first go

Comment

Working...
                    X