• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rickc
    Warrior
    • Aug 2016

8208 xbr

Well my JP 18 in lightweight that i built for hog hunting shot the factory Hornady SSTs so well i haven't bothered reloading for it.

I decided to play with it.a.little.this weekend. Started load development with some 123 SMKs and 8208 since i have heard so much about it here. Loaded up from 27.8 to 28.4 in .2 grain increments. 5 shot groups.

I decided to seat them exactly the same as.the.factory hornady.

Well 28 gr. Of 8208 XBR gave me a horizontal in the high .2s. The vertical pushed it out to the .6s. I know i can do better. Breathing, trigger control and that shoulder in the stock. Really did not expect it to shoot that good.

Going to do seating depth test with the same load next weekend and try a little harder to use proper techniques
  • Fredman
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

I was going to tell you to throw the 123 SMKs away. They are very fussy. But looks like your barrel likes them.

Comment

• ricsmall
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Seat them as close to lands as you can Rick. I'll try and dig up my old notes on those. I was at 28.2 and 2.3 coal IIRC. Don't remember jump but they were shooting less than half moa.

Richard
      Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Fredman View Post
        I was going to tell you to throw the 123 SMKs away. They are very fussy. But looks like your barrel likes them.
        I've put 8 rounds into the same hole at 100yds with the 123gr SMK load from Precision Firearms, through a 20" Bartlein barrel.

It got to the point where I was just wasting ammo at 100yds to prove that the barrel shot sub MOA. It was easily a .5 MOA barrel with that load for even 8 rounds.

I had one flier that opened the group up to .6" when the guys to my left and right let off with their Seekins ATC muzzle-braked ARs.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ricsmall
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Rick, just remembered to look this up. I was at 2.3" coal with 2.401" being in the lands. Powder was 28.4 gr 8208XBR. This load was 2" or better at 400 yds consistently. Some lighter loads shot better at 100 yds, 27.9gr with same seating depth, averaged .475 at 100. YMMV.

Richard

Comment

• Rickc
            Warrior
            • Aug 2016

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
            Rick, just remembered to look this up. I was at 2.3" coal with 2.401" being in the lands. Powder was 28.4 gr 8208XBR. This load was 2" or better at 400 yds consistently. Some lighter loads shot better at 100 yds, 27.9gr with same seating depth, averaged .475 at 100. YMMV.

Richard
            Thanks i love playing around with load development. Never expected much out of an 18 in lightweight. I have been pleasantly suprised

I will try it all but i don't want to start single loading this gun.

Comment

• ricsmall
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

At 2.3" I was feeding fine out of ar stoner 10 round mags. Not sure if I ever ran them in my 15 rounders from precision firearms. As an aside, lots of folks report feeding issues with the 15 round mags but they've worked perfectly for me.

Richard

Comment

• SightedIn
                Warrior
                • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Rickc View Post
                Well my JP 18 in lightweight that i built for hog hunting shot the factory Hornady SSTs so well i haven't bothered reloading for it.

I decided to play with it.a.little.this weekend. Started load development with some 123 SMKs and 8208 since i have heard so much about it here. Loaded up from 27.8 to 28.4 in .2 grain increments. 5 shot groups.

I decided to seat them exactly the same as.the.factory hornady.

Well 28 gr. Of 8208 XBR gave me a horizontal in the high .2s. The vertical pushed it out to the .6s. I know i can do better. Breathing, trigger control and that shoulder in the stock. Really did not expect it to shoot that good.

Going to do seating depth test with the same load next weekend and try a little harder to use proper techniques
                I have the same JP 18" barrel and it only likes 28g of 8208 with 123Amax or SST, anything less strings out and anything more there's too many pressure signs.
                Thats with factory CAOL of 2.245
                I have tried CAOL of 2.260 and 2.280 but i doesnt like either any better than the 2.245, seems to like the jump, at least with the horndays anyways.

Comment

Working...
                X