Shooting Wolf Steel Cased Ammo Through a Stainless Steel Barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bwild97
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Shooting Wolf Steel Cased Ammo Through a Stainless Steel Barrel?

Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated!!
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

I have never considered steel cased ammo because I view it as inferior.

My money and time are too hard to come by. When I get a chance to shoot I don't want the ammo to be the excuse for a poor range day.

I tend to spend a lot on my guns trying to eliminate them as the weak link. I'm not inclined to feed them subpar ammo.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• 65Whelen
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

I don't have deep pockets, so when I can shoot more for less I'm in, I love the steel case in my SHTF gun. But, I just got in on the 20" barrel group buy for a long range Grendel, I wouldn't run the steel case through that one. It's the right tool for the right job thing.

Comment

• 1911man
        Warrior
        • May 2015

For me its about the different variables involved: 1. How expensive is my barrel? 2. How expensive is my bolt? So on and so forth. I have an Alexander Arms 16" light barrel that I full intend to shoot the wolf ammo through and I also have their hard use bolt. That barrel is also installed into a cheap surplus arms upper that I painted FDE with duracoat aresol so I am not all that worried about this gun getting dinged up. I would not shoot it through my Criterion barrel which cost me $400 or the upper that I have it in.

I am not necessarily sold on the idea that steel case is terrible for your weapon but the bi metal jacket has to be at least a little bit harder on your barrel and the steel cases themselves have to be at least a little harder on your bolt. I know for a fact that steel cases beat up the deflector on my upper more from years of shooting steel case through a 7.62x39 upper.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

I wouldn't be too concerned about it, especially on a barrel meant for blasting.

Even Lilja said it isn't an issue with their barrels.

There are guys putting thousands of rounds through their guns with it, since it is so affordable.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I shot five Wolf Steel Cases through my 20" Shilen 6.5 Grendel to get the chronograph results for a 20" barrel. I have no intention in shooting anymore bimetal steel cased ammo in my Shilen. I have a 16" chrome moly and a Faxon 16" QPQ barrels that I'll use if I want to shoot steel cased ammo with bimetal bullets. I doubt five rounds of Wolf steel case ammo shot slow fire will hurt my SS Shilen barrel.

Comment

• Sputnik
              Warrior
              • May 2013

I will shoot it in my $200 group buy scraped Liberty barrel all day long, but not in my PF Neptune Four $1700 upper.

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

For one I have my SS barrels nitrided. That gives e a lot more confidence.

That and I recall a thread somewhere that Bill A had made the comment in that he had designed the Grendel chamber to eat steel cased ammo with no problems.
                "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• mdram
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2016

i look at it this way
                  its more .50 per round saved with wolf (@ 70 cents)
                  so thats over $500 every 1k rounds saved?
                  you can buy many replacement barrels for the savings
                  just some targets for printing
                  https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

From most everything I've read, I'm comfortable with steel cased ammo. The cost savings is substantial.
                    If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

Working...
                    X