• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clays23
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

Best, cheap ammo for predator hunting?

Since I can't coyote hunt with good ole wolf FMJ (legally) and would rather not use hornady SST or A-max, what other cheap ammo is accurate enough for predator hunting? Wolf Multi-Purpose Tactical? What about the new Federal American Eagle 90 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point?

Joshua 1:9
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

PF loaded 100 grain BT box of 50 and shipping would be close to the same price as two boxs of that federal ammo you linked too.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
      Chieftain
      • May 2012

I kinda depends on how many shots you plan on taking at game, the 0.95 around for the federal is pretty cheap for brass Grendel and unless you are planing to take 200 shots at game the amax load are not dramatically more, out of curiosity why not use amax if it's a known entity for your gun the ammo you use up re-zeroing will potentionally negate any savings assuming you are already zeroed without amax
      Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Clays23
        Warrior
        • Nov 2015

Good points I will probably stick with the hornadys. From what I can find other ammo options wouldn't be saving me much $
        Joshua 1:9

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
          Warrior
          • Aug 2015

I believe that 90gr would be a good one to try. If I recall correctly, it uses the TNT bullet which is designed to rapidly expand so you may avoid a big exit hole as it will hopefully dump all its energy into the animal's cavity before exiting. No personal experience but I believe this is the intent. I'm looking at loading the 95gr V-Max for this purpose but it's not available in loaded ammo.

Reloading is really the answer to all ammo related questions Your shooting experience will be ten times as rewarding and cheaper per round.

Comment

• SDguy
            Warrior
            • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
            Reloading is really the answer to all ammo related questions Your shooting experience will be ten times as rewarding and cheaper per round.
            You give reloading a chance, I venture a guess you will never look back.

And for predators I highly recomend you consider another firearm in one of many 17 caliber options. Inexpensive ammo I would look at the 17 HH (Hornady Hornet) packs a lot more punch than you would think. Ammo can be had at .50 to .60 cents a round on line. My personal favorite would be the 17 Fireball. Many may also recomend a 17 tactical or just the plane old 17 Remington.

My apologies for answering a question that was not asked directly.
            Last edited by SDguy; 02-11-2017, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X