• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeffreybehr
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2016

First handloads for my Alex Pro 18" Grendel

First, my early order of Hornady cases and factory 123g. loads isn't yet shipped--actually, it's barely acknowledged--but I found plenty of Hornady cases and Hornady A-Max123 cartridges to buy--at Bruno's and Cabela's, respectively.

Will be limiting myself initially to the Sierra HP85 and MK107 and Hornady A-Max123. Put together four combinations of the three bullets and four powders (H335 with the 85, 8208 with the 107, and W748 and BLC-2 with the 123.

For this pic, I tried to align bare bullets alongside the cartridges to show how deeply--or not--the bullets are seated.

That MK107 is so gorgeous I'll be quite happy if it shoots really well.

This cartridge sure is a cute little thing!

PS. I use 'handload' with all-new components and 'reload' with fired cases.
    PS2. Cabela's had a 20box of Weatherby .30-378 cartridges for 'only' $140!
    Last edited by jeffreybehr; 12-19-2016, 05:04 AM.
    A shootist and reloadist for more than 50 years, this year with black rifles.
  • dammitman
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

i like your correct use of the terms handload and reload. is that correct that there is a 75 grain sierra HP? i see a 85 for sure. i need to hit the bench and do some reloading.

Comment

• jeffreybehr
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by dammitman View Post
      i like your correct use of the terms handload and reload. is that correct that there is a 75 grain sierra HP? i see a 85 for sure. i need to hit the bench and do some reloading.
      Sorry for the confusion--the Sierra HP is indeed an 85. I've corrected my note.

Late last nite, I added three more loads with the MK107 and BLC2.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

8208 XBR is a great powder with the 107gr SMK.

Looking forward to your results.

Did you get your Volume I yet?
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jeffreybehr
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

Did you get your Volume I yet?
          Yes, very quickly. Mentioned it here...
          I've compiled an Excel spreadsheet of maximum loads for bullet weights of 95g. thru 130g.. I pulled these from Lyman 50, Nosler 8, Hornady 10, and Berger 1 manuals plus one tabulation in LoadData.com, and I included only the fastest-several loads from each manual's section. (I am NOT interested in in medium- or lower-velocity

...post #10.

Comment

• jeffreybehr
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2016

Will be off to Ben Avery Shooting Facility with my Alex Pro 6.5 and 17 more handloads--that's thirty-four 4-shot groups.

To the original three bullets I've added the Sierra MK120, Berger Target Match120, and the V-Max95. Tomorrow I'll be shooting these three plus the Hornady A-Max 123 factory load. I'd add a couple samples with the MK107 but just don't have the energy at the range.

The best results last week were from the Sierra 85; three 5-shot groups averaged 1.0".

Wish me good weather.

Comment

• Trumpet
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2016

How does the Alex Pro shoot? I'm contemplating one of their barrels.

Comment

Working...
              X