• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Varmint bullet water test.

A thread on this forum gave me the incentive to conduct a little test using varmint bullets shooting at one gallon jugs of water. The thread discussed using the 6.5 Grendel on Bobcats. I had previously shot jugs filled with water with a 95 grain V-Max hand load at 2640 FPS. The V-Max stopped in the third gallon jug and had lost a lot of weight. Each jug is approximately 5 3/4 inches of water.

The concern about using the 6.5 Grendel varmint bullets is pelt damage on bobcats and the 95 grain V-Max penetrates approximately 15" of water plus the walls of the plastic jugs.

In this test I was using my 16" Faxon 1:8 twist 6.5 Grendel. I used an old wooden flower box to set seven one gallon jugs filled with water in a line. I shot the center of the jugs at 50 yards. I was curious if the 107 grain Sierra Match King would produce less pelt damage than a varmint bullet.

The 107 grain SMK is a factory 2nd loaded with 28.5 grains of IMR8208XBR with CCI 450 primer in a Hornady case. This bullet is very accurate in my rifles and my 20" Shilen produced an average velocity of 2658 FPS. I have not chronographed this load out of my 16" Faxon but typically my 16" barrels yield approximately 80-100 FPS less than my 20" Shilen. I estimate the velocity at 50 yards for the 107 grain SMK at 2550 FPS.

Here is a photo of the 7 one gallon water jugs in a line.

The results were quite dramatic. The impact completely crushed and ripped the second jug plus broke the wooden box where the jugs had been placed in a line. The bullet fully penetrated five jugs doing significant damage through four jugs. The fifth jug the bullet hit the jug sideways. The bullet then entered the sixth jug and ripped the bottom out of the jug. I could tell the bullet was intact but the bullet exited the jug and I was unable to find the bullet. Most of the energy was expended and the bullet must have bounced off the pallet back board. The bullet basically behaved like a FMJ.

Here is photo of the sixth jug, you can see the entry and where the bottom of the jug was ripped and where the bullet exited.

I next fired a 90 grain Speer TNT into a row of five jugs. I laid the flower box on it's side and set the five jugs in a row on the side of the box. The impact again broke the wooden box the jugs had been sitting on in line. The 90 grain TNT was a hand load with 28.6 grains of Accurate 2230 in a Hornady case with a chronographed velocity of 2645 FPS out of a 16" barrel. The impact destroyed two jugs but the box breaking allowed the jugs to fall over and the bullet to exit the second jug and missed the third jug. The bullet impacted the pallet backing the jugs. After striking the board the 90 grain bullet bounced off the board and was not recovered.

Here is a picture showing how the board broke and let the jugs fall over.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-07-2016, 08:49 PM.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I next tested a 85 grain Sierra Varmint. I set three jugs in a row and shot the jugs at 50 yards. The 85 grain Sierra Varmint was a hand load consisting of 29.0 grains of Xterminator and a S&B primer in a PPU case. I estimate the velocity of this bullet 2650 FPS. On this shot the bullet passed through the first and second jugs. The bullet went through the third jug and hit the backing board. The bullet bounced off the board and was not recovered. There were so many leaves I was unable to find any of the three bullets which is aggravating. I've found bullets in the past several feet from where they bounce off backing boards. The bullet core exited the third jug sideways and appeared to has lost a lot of mass.

Here is a photo of the jugs penetrated by the 85 grain Sierra Varmint. All the 6.5 Grendel rounds have explosive effective which is most evident in the second jug. This bullet penetrated at least 15" of water before bouncing off the pallet. I think this bullet would be pretty destructive on Bobcat pelts.

I was also curious about my 17 HMR so I laid the last water jug on it's side and shot the jug through the cap with a Federal 17 grain V-Max at 50 yards.

Here is a picture of the bullet hole through the cap.

I laid the water jug on it's side so as to shoot through more water. Here is a photo of the entry through the top of the jug.

I was surprised the 17 HMR punched through the base/bottom of the jug knocking out a good size hole. I have previously shot one gallon plastic jugs at 100 yards with 17 HMR. Usually the 17 grain V-Max will be captured in a jug at one hundred yards. I shot a gallon jug of water at 280-300 yards a couple weeks ago. The 17 grain V-Max ripped open the jug and completely penetrated through the jug.

Here is a picture of the bottom of the jug where the 17 HMR exited.

If I were concerned about saving the belt on a Bobcat the 17 HMR 17 grain V-Max would be my first choice. If I were going to use my 6.5 Grendel I'd first try the 107 grain SMK if there was no down range hazard.

As accurate as my Savage 17 HMR is a 20 grain FMJ hunting bullet would probably produce the least amount of belt damage on bobcats. I've shot many varmints with 17 grain V-Max and it is very destructive on small critters especially within one hundred yards.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-07-2016, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• dammitman
      Warrior
      • Dec 2012

Fantastic testing! So to summerize, 17 fmj best but 17 best over grendel pretty much alltogether. I just need a 17 thats all. Now should i find a 17 hornet or 17 hmr?

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I really think it depends on the range you want to shoot. The 17 grain 17 HMR V-Max has a velocity of 2550 FPS and loses velocity pretty quick. There isn't much mass and with the frangable bullet there is less down range hazard. A heavier bullet in the 17 Hornet would extend the range. From my experience the 17 HMR is effective out to 100 yards on larger critters.

If you can limit your shots to around 100 yards I think the 17 HMR will be effective with proper bullet placement. If most of your shots are over 100 yards there are better options like the 17 WSM or 17 Hornet. If there was no wind I would likely shoot a little further with the 17 HMR but I believe shot placement is critical.

The problem with centerfire rounds if the critter is close the high velocity bullet will pretty much destroy the animal and pelt. I bought my Savage 17 HMR for a very affordable price and put a BSA sweet 17 scope on it. If the target is within 100 yards the critter is a dropped because the 17 is so easy and accurate to shoot. The 17 HMR is not loud so it doesn't alert other game or disturb neighbors. The 17 HMR is very flat shooting for a rimfire and has been very useful in eliminating pest in my area of the midwest.

In a perfect world if I was coyote hunting I'd take my 6.5 Grendel with a light varmint bullet. I don't save belts and am not concerned with pelt damage so close range is not an issue for me. If a bobcat presented a shot beyond 50 yards I'll use the 107 grain SMK if there is no down range hazard. Next time I go varmint hunting I'll probably have a second mag loaded with 107 grain SMK. If I was going out specifically for feral cats or bobcats I'd take my 17 HMR and limit my range to where I know the 17 HMR is effective.

I see the 17 HMR as a tool with a specific purpose and a box of fifty rounds usually cost $14. A neighbor Friend with a neck injury just purchased a 17 HMR for pest control on his farm. He can't tolerate recoil because of his injury and this combination is working for him.

Comment

Working...
        X