• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GarandThumb
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

123 amax at 750 yards

This is my standard Grendel load, a 123 amax over 28.3gr of AR Comp. Muzzle velocity is around 2600fps.

It moves that steel at 75o yards pretty good. Can even hear a faint ding a couple seconds after each hit:

• NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Nicely done. You must understand, though, that this is meaning less without the obligatory photo of the weapon on the bench and a description of the barrel and optic, at the very least!

Judges scores:
    5 for marksmanship
    4 for video production
    4 for Load data
    0 for Weapon details

Average score: 3.25

Just kidding, of course.

You've just got to love the authority of the 123 at 750, though. Nice set of consecutive hits, too.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• GarandThumb
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
      Nicely done. You must understand, though, that this is meaning less without the obligatory photo of the weapon on the bench and a description of the barrel and optic, at the very least!
      lol

I'll have to remember to grab a photo of it in the wild next time. Here is a photo I posted on this sight after finishing the build:

Lilja barrel and a standard vortex viper.

Comment

• 1911man
        Warrior
        • May 2015

Nice, that is my go to load as well. Do you know the dimensions of those plates?

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

Really like the looks of that rifle.. Seems to be a shooter as well!! Thanks for sharing

Comment

• GarandThumb
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by 1911man View Post
            Nice, that is my go to load as well. Do you know the dimensions of those plates?
            I don't recall the exact dimension. Looked like 2 moa wide, so 15 inches give or take an inch. Ironically this range has smaller plates at 1000 yards. I did not attempt 1000 yards with the Grendel on this outing.

Comment

• 1911man
              Warrior
              • May 2015

Originally posted by GarandThumb View Post
              I don't recall the exact dimension. Looked like 2 moa wide, so 15 inches give or take an inch. Ironically this range has smaller plates at 1000 yards. I did not attempt 1000 yards with the Grendel on this outing.
              Based on that view my guess would have been 15"

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Very nice. It's fun, isn't it?

1000yds isn't that challenging if you have 1/8 twist. I'll take the twist over velocity now that I have seen what it does from a 16" barrel with 1/7.5" twist.

Have you thought about getting any of the 123gr ELD-M?

123gr SMK is a really good 1000yd bullet too.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• GarandThumb
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  Very nice. It's fun, isn't it?

1000yds isn't that challenging if you have 1/8 twist. I'll take the twist over velocity now that I have seen what it does from a 16" barrel with 1/7.5" twist.

Have you thought about getting any of the 123gr ELD-M?

123gr SMK is a really good 1000yd bullet too.
                  Yea, the 123 ELDs is something I will try soon. I may also consider the 130 ELDs. I actually just received a couple boxes of the new 147s which I'm going to use in my 260.

I've thought about trying the 123 SMKs but to date the 123 Amax have been good enough and are a good bit cheaper.

Is CFE223 still your goto powder for the Grendel?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by GarandThumb View Post
                    Yea, the 123 ELDs is something I will try soon. I may also consider the 130 ELDs. I actually just received a couple boxes of the new 147s which I'm going to use in my 260.

I've thought about trying the 123 SMKs but to date the 123 Amax have been good enough and are a good bit cheaper.

Is CFE223 still your goto powder for the Grendel?
                    It has been for several years now after what I saw from Bwild97. Where is he by the way?

I'm looking at getting into AR-Comp, LVR, and N530 possibly though.

One thing about CFE223 in the Grendel I have noticed is that the recoil characteristics are a lot different than say, 8208XBR, under the same bullet weight, at the same working pressure.

The curve of CFE feels a lot longer, with a stout, long duration push that really likes to throw a lightweight gun hard.

This may be subjective on my part, but I notice little details that I might have overlooked when I was younger.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X